Thread: question about seam rippers

question about seam rippers

I was looking into making a couple of seam rippers for some friends. I see there are a few options, one is to use one bought from a local store and basically "adapt" it to a new handle. Or I can pick up a kit. Some kits have o-ring retainers and other use a spring clip. Any opinions of things to avoid or go with?
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I made a single ended one for my wife this Christmas. You have to buy the bushings made for whatever kit you get. I went the kit route and bought from Penn State Industries. They have a few different selections. The kit I got uses a spring clip. Since she just got it, I can't comment on how long it will last.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Never have tried this project however there are some folks in our turning club that do them. They get the cheap ones from walmart or where ever they can find them and make them fit a new wood holder.

There used to be a guy on the Pen Makers forum that bought Dritz (the best commercial ones) in bulk and sold them to turners. I bought 40 (or so) from him. I understand he no longer sells them.
    I cut the clear plastic cap end off and kept the center bit.
    Drilled pen blank with a small (~1/4inch) hole deep enough to put the cutter in. Then drilled a larger dia hole (~10mm) for the center bit of the clear end cap.
    I then put the pen blank between centers, driving with a "Dead-center".
    I usually parted/cut the blank off at between 3 and 5 inches (usually make some short ones and some long ones)

This basic method should work with any commercial seam-ripper.

Talking with sewing types (like my wife) the commercial double-ended seam-ripper kits are 50% useless. In that they don't need to be double ended.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Thanks for the replies and feedback. I hadn't planned on using the double ended rippers especially since they will be given to a couple kids who are still learning a lot.Ralph- I think I will play around with your version first and see how it goes.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green