Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Best Tool You Ever Owned

Blog Entries
    My Sawstop Table Saw & my LN #7. Both excellent tools that I enjoy using.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I smile every time I use my STANLEY No. 92
    Carpe Lignum

Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    Stanley 60 1/2. There is no project this tool hasn't seen.

Peter

Ditto, but it's a LN, not vintage. Hope that still qualifies!

I have some neat stuff but this tool is the one that when using it, I think " man was this ever well designed " ..

Felder (ACM) edge sander with spindle sander add-on.

The flip side is a jointer - platen style edge sander with power feed. It can be set to remove 1/1000th or 1/500th or whatever.. and won't remove anything extra. The feeder makes it quite simple.

The spindle sander is small, but uses drum sander paper, or regular sandpaper if heavy enough.. brilliant..

With a 4hp x PH-3 Motor running the whole machine, power is a non issue. It would be dangerous to try to even slow this thing down ..

The most impressive part however is that the actual dust collection works. I have never seen an edge sander with effective dust collection ..

Most certainly has to be my brain. Plus, it is housed in a very attractive case!
    Do like you always do,,,,,get what you always get!!

Nice Rick! That or something similar has been on my wish list. Hard to justify a good edge sander for doors and windows though. We have been using a old Rodgers for years that throws dust everywhere but the extraction hose.
    is the sanding drum purpose made for the machine or can other drums be used?
    Joe

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Pozzi View Post
    Most certainly has to be my brain. Plus, it is housed in a very attractive case!
    I have an older model. It doesn't always work, and the case is beat to heck.

Been thinking about this for a while, my best tool is this:

2014-01-03 13.32.13 (800x450).jpg

It was my grandpa's, and he used it to make wonderful things. It is the ugliest plane I have, but it reminds me that the craftsman isn't in the tools. Helps keep it in perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Nice Rick! That or something similar has been on my wish list. Hard to justify a good edge sander for doors and windows though. We have been using a old Rodgers for years that throws dust everywhere but the extraction hose.
    is the sanding drum purpose made for the machine or can other drums be used?
    Joe
    There are 3 sanding drums that came with the machine, sort of a "small, medium, large" thing. They are pretty small, good for 90% of what you would do .. but takes up zero floor space and works exceptionally well. I love not having to stock sandpaper tubes .. 3 rolls of drum sander paper = 3 grits available.

I enjoy seeing that some hand tools made it into the thread. It would be good to learn more hand tool skills, but the task seems overwhelming. Slightly shaky hands don't bode well with sharp hand tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Neal Clayton View Post
    A 1948 Unipoint RAS.
    Nice.

One great feature of a Unipoint style RAS is that you can set them up so the pivot point is on the fence line.

That means that you can set up a measuring/stop system that is accurate for any angles, inside or outside cut.

That feature is why you find them littering the landscape in the roof truss business - all those angles, including compound miters, work with a measuring system.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    There are 3 sanding drums that came with the machine, sort of a "small, medium, large" thing. They are pretty small, good for 90% of what you would do .. but takes up zero floor space and works exceptionally well. I love not having to stock sandpaper tubes .. 3 rolls of drum sander paper = 3 grits available.
    I just broke one of the commandments" ​thou shalt not covet thy neighbors sander"
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Can't they all be my favorite? If I had to choose a favorite... I would have to say my imagination. Without it every tool is useless.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    Can't they all be my favorite? If I had to choose a favorite... I would have to say my imagination. Without it every tool is useless.
    Darn, Dude. Awesome.

Can't top that.

Its either my Stanley 62, or this one hand forged Japanese chisel that falls just right in my hand.

Larry