Thread: hollowing tool

hollowing tool

I am in the process of building the jamieson tool as budget dictates. Has anyone built his laser setup and where do you find
    the clamps he uses? I have the boring bar setup built and am building the rear rest. This thing will be rather heavy when
    complete. Byron

Not hard to build and can be done with minimal welding if that is a problem. Try useing boat railing if that is available in your area. Mine was too flimsy and a club member recently showed his built from boat railing and it was quite steady.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Thom right about the railing parts. Lyle's parts are custom made for him and he doesn't part with them at all.

I made a similar clamp from hardwood to mount Lyle's system on another hollowing tool I made. Start with a block of wood with the overall dimensions, drill all the holes, cross drill for bolts, rasp or saw a nicer profile, then cut in half on the bandsaw. It's more blocky looking than Lyle's, but works fine.

Like Richard, I made a wooden clamp. I used an article from the AAW magazine for design. If you are a member or have a friend who is a member, you can search old issues. The Spring 2003 issue. The article is " Build your own Square-Aim Laser" by Bruce Hoover.
    I did modify the type of laser after many problems. I now use this with a battery box. http://www.ebay.com/itm/120921382860...860%26_rdc%3D1

does anyone know if there is a turner jere locally in ft worth tx that has a jamieson hollowing tool that i might look at. Seeing one in person
    lets you get a better view and some measurements. Thanks,Byron

If you can't find someone locally I can send you pics and measurements from mine. What lathe do you have?