Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I've been out of the shop for a while --

I've been out of the shop for a while --

This is the first time I've been on the Creek for quite some time. It's good to see it's still going strong - even without me!!!!!

As some of you know I've had a couple of knee surgeries this year ending with a total knee replacement at the end of March. I'm starting to get around pretty good now - thanks to some really good rehab folks.

However, my health issues continue and I'm looking at 2-3 possible surgical procedures to correct the problem.

Needless to say I've not been in my shop since about Christmas time. I've had to turn down quite a few projects which saddens me. But right now I don't feel safe using the power equipment between the medicines and the problem - it's not a good combination.

The doctors tell me if all goes well I should be up and at it again by the end of July first of August. Keep those fingers crossed for me! It's been a long year.

Thanks for you anticipated prayers!
    Betsy

Good to see ya around Betsy..!!!!!

I'll be praying for a speedy recovery and that all goes well in the days ahead.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Prayers and best wishes go out to you from the Shupe home. Hope you heal quickly.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Glad You're Back

Wish it could be back in your shop, but back on the Creek is good too. I can appreciate the knee replacement bit. My wife had it done in 2001.
    18th century nut --- Carl

HI Betsy:

I hope your recovery goes smoothly and with as little pain as possible. Both of my sisters are rehab ppl. One is a Physiatrist and the other a Physical Therapist. I know what ppl like them can do to ppl like you. Just remember after each PT/rehab session, there is the ICE PACK Good Luck\

JOe

Betsy, good to hear from you...keep your chin up and once everything is fixed, you can get back into the shop. 'Hope you're feeling better soon!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Wishing you the best! May you be able to spend time in your shop soon.
    ________
    Ron

"Individual commitment to a group effort--that is what makes a team work, a company work, a society work, a civilization work."
    Vince Lombardi

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Back Betsy,

Me and the big guy got you back!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Betsy, I hope the recovery goes well. I can understand your pain. I was supposed to have both knees replaced on Dec. 15, 04. Three days before surgery my family Doc. told me I'm slightly diabetic and cancelled the procedure. Now I'm faced with starting the planning procedure over again but find it difficult to reallocate enough time for rehab. I install wooden railings an would have to close my business for 3 to 6 months, not easy. Let me ask you, would you do it again?

Be well.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf
    Betsy, I hope the recovery goes well. I can understand your pain. I was supposed to have both knees replaced on Dec. 15, 04. Three days before surgery my family Doc. told me I'm slightly diabetic and cancelled the procedure. Now I'm faced with starting the planning procedure over again but find it difficult to reallocate enough time for rehab. I install wooden railings an would have to close my business for 3 to 6 months, not easy. Let me ask you, would you do it again?

Be well.

Richard
    Thanks for all the good thoughts folks - I appreciate it.

Richard - YES - I'd do it again in a heart beat. There was some time when the surgery was over that I wondered why I went ahead with it - I had a lot of pain issues. But now that I've gotten through it and have done the rehab - I'd do it again - no doubt. I can walk now whereas before I was barely limping along. I wish your situation was a bit different - I have a employer that supports it's employees real well. I can't imagine the stress that having to shut the business down for so long. The rehab is only about 6-8 weeks - then it's pretty smooth sailing.

Good luck!

Betsy

I have an aquaintance who had both knees done (concurrently!!) several years ago and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. My mom also had one done two years ago and it's made a huge difference in her life. (She's 75) Based on their experiences, if I even needed it, I'd do it, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

12. Glad to see you posting again, Betsy. Do waht the doc says and you will be back in the shop in record time.
    What you do today determines what you can do tomorrow.

Glad to see you are back Betsy. I had been wondering what had happened to you. I'm glad your recovery is coming along well, and I sure understand about the health issues really interfering with the shop activities, as I'm still recovering from some health issues myself. Just hang in there, and keep as active as you can because it really helps the recovery process.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Good to hear from you again Betsy! Folks here were wondering and asking about you! Good luck on your continued recovery! Do what the physical therapists and doctors ask!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hi Betsy. I am amazed at how well knee replacements work. My sister in law was almost imobile until she had two replacements last September. Now she goes on long walks every day.

I hope that your knee contunues to improve, that the other procedures you mention are also a sucess, and that you get back to woodworking SOON.