Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any "Neanderthal Shavers" here?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    If I went back to straight razor shaving, I might well switch to a shavette. At the moment, though, I'm using a 2 blade Atra II....my dad's actually. More blades = more scraping on your face = really uncomfortable on my kind of bear/face. 2 blades really isn't bad, and I'd encourage anyone who switched to a straight razor for comfort to give 2 blades a try, combined with a good shaving oil and real shaving cream...not this Gillette Foamy nonsense. Straight razor shaving is pretty inconvenient if you can avoid it, IMHO.
    At first I thought the straight razor would take longer but actually after a few days' practice it just takes a few strokes to clean each side of the face. Also at first I did not get nearly as good of a shave as with a store-bought razor, but a little practice with the shaving angle and I am smoother than ever.

That said, you do have to enjoy the whole process to really get into the whole straight razor thing. I'm not one of these that thinks your shave has to be picture perfect (unless we have a fancy event to attend or something). My main two reasons for going straight razor is that I like sharpening, I wanted to keep trash out of the landfill, and I am sick of paying $15 for a few plastic razors. I now know, after trying a good straight razor, what all the fuss is about. I am going to start making my own bay rum again- something I used to do and stopped. Again this is more for fun than need. The bay tree grows wild here. They smell like allspice- also make a great flavored rum.

No, but I consider myself a Cro Magnon shaver: I use an old double edge razor. Way, way better than the modern ones with 18 blades.

About a year and a half ago, I went with the old "safety" razor (double edge) It's a hefty sucker too. I have not looked back. Would be interested in the straight razor approach as well. My regimen consists of using a badger brush with a premium shaving soap. I prep the skin first with hot water and then follow with Geo. F. Trumper's Skin Food. That product is a wonderful pre-shave, but you can also get good results with a high quality shave oil prior to the soap. For best results, I shave twice, once with the grain, and then relather and shave against the grain. Post shave I use a good quality bay rum, and a post shave balm. I prefer the "Feather" brand blades from Japan, as they last at least 7 day's worth of shaving.

I got interested in going back to this type of system when I realized that the bastids at Schick and Gillette continually drop the quality of a product to get you to buy the next best version. That, and I got tired of paying $10 for 4 blades, each of which lasted only as long as mu double edge Feather brand. BTW, I can get 10 Feather blades for about $4.50. Even with the fancy prep balm, soap, bay rum, etc., it's still cheaper and BETTER than the multi blade cartidge system. Really, do you need a razor with a vibrating head, FM radio and a flashlight?

The best part? my face now does not have a 5 o'clock shadow at the end of the day. In fact, the next morning it approaches the 5 o'clock look. Definitely smoother and no irritation whatsoever. FWIW, I use this site for my supplies: http://www.qedusa.com/
    Maurice

I wish someone would teach these stupid actors how to PRETEND they are shaving with a straight razor. Also,I am tired of looking at them holding a knife or razor very nearly perfectly VERTICAL while stropping!! The trouble with actors is they most often don't know how to do anything except act. And,most often they don't seem to care,either.

You guys are killing me, I've had my eye on a nice modern variation on the safety razor, a nice silver tip brush, soap etc. I guess I ain't shavin til I save my pennies! Though I like George's curved surgical knife, it'll clean your whole neckline in a single swipe!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    I guess I ain't shavin til I save my pennies!
    Am I the only one that misread that line at first?

I have a joke about that,but can't tell it here!!

About 3 years ago I went to a Merkur double edge. I learned on a Gillette adjustable double edge in the ‘60s. I agree about the quality of the blades going downhill on the twin blades now that they are pushing 3 or 4 blade razors. I haven’t tried anything other than soap and a brush but am happy with the shave I get. Unless there is something special going on, shaving 2 or 3 times a week is it for me. I’d rather use unscented soap or creams, but haven’t been able to find one.
    I remember when I was a kid, dad had a handheld gizmo for stropping double edge blades. It wasn’t much bigger than a fist and had 2 leather belts and a hand crank. He stopped using it when he gave up Gillette Blue Blades for stainless and their better edge holding.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Am I the only one that misread that line at first?
    Hey it was early!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Markham View Post
    You guys are killing me, I've had my eye on a nice modern variation on the safety razor, a nice silver tip brush, soap etc. I guess I ain't shavin til I save my pennies! Though I like George's curved surgical knife, it'll clean your whole neckline in a single swipe!
    Rick, the Merkur double edge models are very nice, and pretty affordable. Make sure you get one that has some weight to it. When shaving, let the weight of the razor do the work for you. As for blades, I prefer the Feather brand over Merkur, and I certainly would not waste my time on current production Gillette, Wilkinson, etc.
    Maurice