Thread: After Much Consideration - Purchasing a Minimax FS30 J/P

After Much Consideration - Purchasing a Minimax FS30 J/P

With all the research I've done (incl asking questions/reading posts here), I've placed an order for a new Minimax FS30 J/P to replace a 6" jointer and 13" planer.

My jointer is an 6" Delta that I had bought 10 years ago. It was barely sufficient, but it wasn't expensive either. I upgraded to a 8" Crescent (1940s vintage (old arn mistake)), but sold it quickly. I usually ended up paying for the milling at the hardwood store because of my 6" jointer; what a waste of a tool, money, and missing out on making sawdust. My planer is a 13" lunchbox that I think has caused some hearing damage (lol yes I use hearing protection! ).

I can't stand poor quality tools. I would rather not own something, than one with bad performance. Sometimes I learn about these things the hard way, and it has always cost me. There is something euphoric about anything of quality, but especially more so when its a tool that produces amazing cuts, resulting in something you can be proud of.

I stretched a little for this purchase (compared to what I have now), but highly doubt I'll ever have buyers remorse for the next couple decades that I'll own this machine.

Thanks for all your help.

Mike in Denver

Congrats. I'll be in your shoes one day soon. What made you choose the Minimax over the Hammer? What's the cost delta on the Minimax?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Merriam View Post
    Congrats. I'll be in your shoes one day soon. What made you choose the Minimax over the Hammer? What's the cost delta on the Minimax?
    PM has been sent.

I've got a MiniMax FS41 Classic coming ! I chose a MiniMax over a Hammer due to the all Italian assembly & manufacture , the lack of waiting on boat to arrive , sales support , price .
    Also have a MiniMax MM-20 ordered as well
    Shipping costs on the MiniMax machines were lower than what Hammer / Felder quoted me .
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Mike, congratulations, you'll really enjoy your new machine..........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    I've got a MiniMax FS41 Classic coming ! I chose a MiniMax over a Hammer due to the all Italian assembly & manufacture , the lack of waiting on boat to arrive , sales support , price .
    Also have a MiniMax MM-20 ordered as well
    Shipping costs on the MiniMax machines were lower than what Hammer / Felder quoted me .
    I am so coming over!

I will need help standing that MM20 up right !
    MiniMax is said to ship them now on their backs , which is Fine by me nothing worse than a dropped bandsaw
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

8. I purchased the FS30 and MM16 a couple of years ago. The quality is impressive, and I have been very pleased.

The biggest deciding factor for me between MiniMax and Hammer, was the "no wait" availability of the MiniMax equipment.