Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recently made some rolling pins and need to write a "care of" guide...

Recently made some rolling pins and need to write a "care of" guide...

I recently made and subsequently repaired, some rolling pins for a local baker. I need to write a "care of rolling pins" guide, and thought I'd ask for some help. I've adapted some material from the "care and feeding of bowls" thread.

Care and Feeding of Rolling Pins
    This Rolling Pin is a great kitchen utensil. Use it to roll out dough for breads, pastries, and pastas. The Rolling Pin will absorb some of whatever you roll out. You will probably not be able to remove stains caused by fruit or dyes. However, stains will add character to your Rolling Pin.
    Wood is a natural material and will constantly move as it gains or loses moisture with the seasons. It may change shape over time. With proper care, it will darken and develop a beautiful patina with age.
    With proper care, this rolling pin should last for years. Here are some helpful tips.
    Do's –
    After use, immediately hand wash with damp rag. Rinse. Towel and air dry.
    Occasionally recondition with walnut or mineral oil.
    Don'ts -
    Do not soak it in water or put it in the dishwasher, microwave or oven.
    Sudden changes in temperature and humidity can cause the rolling pin to crack. Do not leave it in a cold garage, and then situate it close to a heat source. Do not leave the rolling pin in a closed car during the summer.

Here is what I found on a website that sells (among other things) rolling pins:

Do not leave in water or put in the dishwasher (unless otherwise labeled). Water warps and cracks wood; and excessive heat adds further damage. If the rolling pins have steel bearings for easier rolling, water can make these bearings stick and rust. To clean a rolling pin, simply wipe off crumbs or flour with a slightly moist cloth as soon as you're done using it and definitely before storing.
    I think I should make it short but detailed enough to inform that too much water and heat can kill a rolling pin. These users have cracked their original 3" rolling pin almost in half. The one I made had the handles seize up because it was gotten too wet. The handle eventually broke off. I have repaired it with shorter handles, and thicker (5/8") hickory axle pins. I also repaired one of their smaller rolling pins when the handles broke off.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 01-03-2014 at 1:28 PM.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

You can see the original rolling pin with the split down the middle. You can also see a smaller rolling pin that I repaired. It's handle is the one split and oval shaped. You can also see the two I made. One has been repaired and is now shorter than the newest one.
    I'm hoping with the thicker hickory axle pins (and proper care) that these will last.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Wow. I can't imagine that kind of damage happening unless they put it into a dishwasher. Your "care of" really only needs to say wipe clean with a damp rag and air dry. And BIG letters "not dishwasher safe".

Does the axle go all the way through the pin?

I would change "rag" to "cloth", and add a trendy warning label .Maybe "damage to rolling pin caused by bashing husband ,is not covered under waranty". I wouldn't mention cold garages , hot cars (or blast furnaces) .Need something positive like "store it in a drawer with other often used kitchen items to remind you of the joy of baking ".

Dave, I'm fairly sure they were in the habit of leaving the rolling pins in the sink to soak, instead of wiping them clean. I've always used a soapy wet rag to clean mine, and then immediately rinsed and dried it. I never have oiled it and it is still as good as the day we bought it almost 30 years ago.
    And no the pin does not go all the way through. It's buried a good 2" into the roller though.

Mel, I'm not sure I'll use those exact phrases, but you make good points to ponder. I'll change rag to "cloth" for sure. Keep in mind this isn't a household bakery, it's a storefront where they make a lot of pastries and bread every day.

Thanks for your input.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I never made any that had handles on bearings or that rotated. Main reason is all the women who would come up and mention that "oh, I had one with roller handles, and one fell off". Always seems that only one does fall off. Some cooks never put any thing on their rolling pins, just letting the oil or shortening in the stuff they roll out, nourish the wood. Water for sure, and soap some times. The one with the crack most likely experienced a major environmental change to get a crack like that. Soaking in water will do that if you leave it for a while.

Oh yea, the women would always get a glint in their eye when their husband was around, and I would tell them ,"no, no, no, you can't use it like that, you will only put dents in the rolling pin".

robo hippy

The list looks fine to me
    I've only made one with handles, it was a single piece of wood, including handles. Never have sold it....
    I've lost count of the "French" style I have made, maybe it's the area, but they sell, and sell, and....
    Maple, Madrone, Myrtle, Walnut, Hazelnut, Apple, Cherry, etc.

A friend of mine makes ones with separate handles, I know he uses UHM plastic as his bearing. But I don't know how he attaches handles, bearing, etc to the main part.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

I just recently made (and sold) a large French rolling pin. It had a 2.5" x 14" barrel and tapered handles like the French ones. She loved it

Ralph I'd be interested to know how your friend configures his bearings and handles. This seems to be a problematic weak point in rolling pin design.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Jim, as to your instructions - I would change the DOs statement to more like:

Wipe with a damp cloth. If there is dough stuck to the surface, rinse and towel dry and leave to finish drying in open air.
    Occasionally recondition with Walnut, Olive, or Mineral oil wiping excess off the surface.

As someone mentioned on a recent bowl thread, Walnut Oil from a kitchen supply does not harden. Does it go rancid? I think so, at least the nuts do. I have also been told that Olive oil does not go rancid and may improve the taste of the foods it is used with. At any rate, it is more likely to already be in most kitchens.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Ralph I'd be interested to know how your friend configures his bearings and handles. This seems to be a problematic weak point in rolling pin design.
    I've been contemplating that as well, as I'm intending to make a new rolling pin for myself (a wannabe baker) soon. I'm inspired by your design with wooden pegs through the handles, but as an engineer I can't help wanting to use a metal shaft with UHMW or nylon bushings. I made one for my wife years ago with sealed ball bearings (yeah, overkill) and as I recall I mounted the pin in a scroll chuck after turning it round and drilled the holes on the ends while supporting the pin with a steady rest. That's the plan for my next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Sturgill View Post
    Jim, as to your instructions - I would change the DOs statement to more like:

Wipe with a damp cloth. If there is dough stuck to the surface, rinse and towel dry and leave to finish drying in open air.
    Occasionally recondition with Walnut, Olive, or Mineral oil wiping excess off the surface.

As someone mentioned on a recent bowl thread, Walnut Oil from a kitchen supply does not harden. Does it go rancid? I think so, at least the nuts do. I have also been told that Olive oil does not go rancid and may improve the taste of the foods it is used with. At any rate, it is more likely to already be in most kitchens.
    My understanding is just the opposite. Walnut oil will not go rancid and olive (as well as canola and others) will. I have always used walnut oil on my salad bowls (some are over 20 years old and used daily) and other wood utensils and have never had a problem with the oil going rancid. My bowls look as good as the day I made them (I ALWAYS dry the salad bowls out after using and washing (and I do use dish soap on them))....the key is not letting wood soak in a sink of water or sit on a wet drain area. bob

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    I'll try to ask Scott the next time I see him
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Yeah.. I've heard that vegetable oils will work as long as you don't close them up. Otherwise they'll get rancid. I use mineral oil since it's cheap and readily available.

I think I have solved the problem with the handles seizing up by using a 11/16" drill bit for the inside of the handles, and sizing the pins to 5/8". I was just doing a test drive of the pins and I think the 5/8" hickory pins will also solve the breaking problem. I think the whole thing will work well as long as they are not abused by soaking in water.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Bob, do you use walnut oil from the grocery store? It is prepared differently than walnut oil used for finishing.

Yes, Olive oil will go rancid, but it takes high heat or a very long (2 - 3 years) time. The pin or bowl should be scrubbed about once a month anyway, so it would be scrubbed and the oil refreshed before it goes bad. Walnut oil goes bad in about 3-4 months once exposed to air. At least according to this site.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).