Thread: kaizen foam

kaizen foam

Anybody ever use this stuff?: http://www.rockler.com/fastcap-kaizen-tool-storage-foam
    Looks like just the ticket for lining boxes/drawers for special tools. Thinking I would like to make a case for my precision straightedge, as well as some other things.
    I know Fastcap makes it, and there are different thicknesses. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Just ordered my first batch last week and received it on Monday. Works exactly as advertised. Super easy to cut the outside shape with a handsaw, and just as easy to cut out the inner shapes for your tools with a razor blade, though digging out the layers of foam with your fingertips can get a little fatiguing for large cutouts (I used the thickest 2in thick foam for my new Fuji spray gun. Almost $1,000 and it doesn't come in a case??!!). It's really just layers of semi-firm foam, glued together, just like plywood really. Ordered the full 2x4 sheet direct from Fastcap, have plenty left over that the wife is already stealing to pack away her Christmas ornaments. If you sign up and order direct from fastcap you'll get a $10 off next purchase coupon. Here's my gun in it's new tote container:

photo.jpg

I've used pick and pluck foam for my photography gear for a long time. Best bang for buck and easy to work with. It may not give the laser cut tool shape look but if all you need is protection, can't beat it for the price.

example: http://www.foambymail.com/PNPCR/pick...coal-foam.html

The Kaizen Foam is actually cheaper than the Pluck foam. I'm planning on buying some for my new Kreg Jig box using a DEWALT DWST24070 24-Inch Tote with Removable Power Tools Case. My other one will not hold all my kits. Dan

Thinking about getting one 20mm and one 57 mm, however Fastcap is out of stock right now; should be available in a few weeks. I can wait. I think the 20mm would be good for shallow drawer stuff.

Chris: Did you see the tip about heating a pc of copper pipe to make finger holes to pick the parts out?
    Last edited by Rick Moyer; 01-04-2014 at 6:41 AM.

I have used the Kaizen, Festool and Craftsman foam. All work as advertised, by the craftsman is much more difficult to layer. I just completed 6 drawers on my under bench cabinet. Could be be happier that my chisels and marking tools are not banging around when the drawers are closed.

Rick im not aware of the copper pipe trick. Peeling the foam was really not a big deal other than the two large cutouts for my gun and spare parts bags. The gun went pretty deep so i had to pluck out about 50% of the foam and my fingers got a little tired. But the smaller pieces like the wrench and brush were quite easy to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Chris: Did you see the tip about heating a pc of copper pipe to make finger holes to pick the parts out?
    I just sharpen it with a reamer, no heat required. Learned that trick building model airplanes. Sharpened brass tubing makes a nice round hole to secure the control wire sleeves.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Moyer View Post
    Thinking about getting one 20mm and one 57 mm, however Fastcap is out of stock right now; should be available in a few weeks. I can wait. I think the 20mm would be good for shallow drawer stuff.

They have (or had yesterday anyway) colors other than black in stock. Haven't gotten any but a nice case for my straight edges would certainly be a worthwhile project...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Merriam View Post
    Rick im not aware of the copper pipe trick. Peeling the foam was really not a big deal other than the two large cutouts for my gun and spare parts bags. The gun went pretty deep so i had to pluck out about 50% of the foam and my fingers got a little tired. But the smaller pieces like the wrench and brush were quite easy to do.
    Video on the Fastcap site I think. They heated a pc of 1/2"(I think) copper with a propane torch (not too long) and laid it briefly at an angle on the sides of one of the cutouts. also saw where a hole saw was briefly heated and that made perfect burnished circles.

A guy on Ebay sells it pre-cut to fit Festool/Tanos Systainers. I bought one a while back and have 3 more on order (should have been here last week--thanks USPS ) It cuts well with the snap-off knifes but it doesn't dig out as smoothly as advertised. I used brad-point drills to make some holes and that worked reasonably well but Brass tubing sounds even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Mooney View Post
    They have (or had yesterday anyway) colors other than black in stock. Haven't gotten any but a nice case for my straight edges would certainly be a worthwhile project...
    I had heard or read that the blk/wht/blk doesn't have the same number of layers (fewer&thicker) as the all black. Anybody know if that's true? If it's the same as the all black, I'll just order it. I'd prefer the all black in 20mm but that one is currently out of stock, but I could live with white if the blk/wht/blk 57mm is the same
    as the all-black 57mm.

I just counted the black/white/black 2in thick, it has 15 layers. But it was quite difficult for me to peel a layer intact, I think all of mine have little hills and valleys, you don't see it when the tool is resting inside.

Thanks Chris. It may be the same then. Not sure how many the black has but the website picture shows 13 I think.
    I sent an e-mail so I hope to hear back tomorrow.

btw, another tip to smooth out the bottoms of your cutouts: slice in from the side of an appropriate sized pc one layer from the top and trim it to fit into the bottom of your cutout. Now your cutout has a relatively smooth bottom.

Update:
    Got an e-mail back from customer service. She said their first versions were different thickness', but now all colors are the same..about 1/8". They are out of stock on blk and wht both in 20mm, so I ordered a 30mm and a 57mm.