Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vicmarc scroll chuck clone from Grizz

Vicmarc scroll chuck clone from Grizz

What is the product number for this chuck? Thanks
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

It's H6265. I have one, just had to try one. It's no Vicmark.

I've had the H6265 for about 8 years. In an initial side by side comparison, the Vicmarc chuck and jaws are not left with sharp machined edges like the Grizzly. It's fairly easy to round and smooth the edges in a half hour or so. I don't own a Vicmarc so can't say what the comparison in tightness of the sliding parts is like after several years of use. The price of the new "T" series Grizzly chucks looks very attractive.

I love my Vicmarc. Anything else is just an imitation.

I probably have an equal number of each - Vicmarc and Grizzly.
    I don't even bother to look at which one I am using when I grab one.
    I have never had a problem with either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Please see personal profile for website info.

I bought one. Wobbled. Got two more before I got one that didn't wobble. I found the jaws to be "sloppy". I only offer this info after knowing that you already got your questioned answered. I know you weren't looking for input about the chuck, specifically.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Be cautious here. Like other say, it's no Vicmarc. My first Grizzly was good, bought a second one. The second one would barely open, and the flat head bolts were too long for the tapped holes. The jaws could not be tightened down. It went back. The faces of the jaws were not flat on the second one. Took it to work and machined the jaws flat. Won't buy another one.

I may have been lucky, but my Grizz/Vic chuck has been a good one. Well used for about 6 yrs. now.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

+1 for what Hayes said. I have four Vicmarc chucks, different sizes and different jaws. I tried the Griz and it wouldn't open all the way - one of the jaws jammed on the roll pin. Also, like Mike's, my jaws were "wobbly" so I sent it back. I have several Grizzly tools and especially love my 17" bandsaw. Guess you just have to be careful with what you order.
    Way south of most everybody...

I have to admit that I as very tempted to get the griz h6265--especially given the price difference of the Vicmarc 100. I decided on the Vicmarc because I would like the extra quality and precision. I turn small stuff so wobble/movement does have more of an effect. Not sayin that the Griz product would wobble, but the above comments are at least "mixed" in that regard. Packard has the best price that I could find for the Vimarc 100. I also have a Oneway scroll and Talon. I have extra jaws that fit both. I have to admit that I'm tired of hassling with the tommy levers as compared to the Talon T key. I'm sure thankful for the comments on this thread, too.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Stan, don't go buy one of the Hurricane chucks. You'll kick yourself for spending 2-3 times the price for the Vicmarc. A buddy of mine heard me talk about them so much that he finally said, "What the heck, I'm going to get one of each (the 100 and the 125)." He is quite an accomplished turner, and he was thoroughly impressed by the chucks. He even mentioned selling his other chucks (Vicmarcs included...this is not an ad, so please don't anyone as me who he is and how can you get in touch with him). And yes, he has (maybe he sold it, so, maybe I should say HAD) a Grizzly chuck, too. He says they are WAY better than the Grizzlys.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Thanks for the comments, Mike. Whatever tool I buy from a hammer to a band saw, I try to buy a "decent" one. By that I mean one that is good quality and will last. The 2 chucks I have now are in that category, but I want something a little better now. I've had my current chucks for years and they have served me okay. I've ordered a Vicmarc 100 and it appears to be much better than my current chucks. I'll be using all 3 of them though. I have good chisels to go with them so now I'm out of excuses to improve my turnings .
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Tell me this. Will VicMarc jaws fit on the Grizzly chuck?
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Stan, don't go buy one of the Hurricane chucks.
    Mike - I think you meant to say don't by the Grizzly. I've heard nothing but good things about the Hurricane. I bought a Grizzly and sent it back. Love my Vicmarcs.

Hehe, what I meant was... He'd be beating himself up for buying the Vicmarc if he bought the Hurricane. It is arguably as good of a chuck for at least 1/2 the price.

Or maybe I should have said, "Don't buy a Hurricane chuck UNLESS you are prepared to bang your head on the wall for spending so much on Vicmarc."

Thanks for pointing out how my post could have been misread. I didn't realize my tongue in cheek comment could have been misinterpreted.
    I drink, therefore I am.