Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: This is a Pretty Serious Saw

Yes, i often go right down to the garage without changing and just work in whatever I'm wearing. If that video made it public, I'd just remove it Maybe some other day I'll get a proper video where I'm not wearing pajamas so that I could put it up.

Blog Entries
    Lol glad I'm not the only one. I think I've done more woodworking in a robe and slippers and than in flannels and jeans.

Truth be told, I like the crocs and pajama pants better than jeans. It's a lot easier to move around - the only person who really objects is my wife. I think she feels it's not socially acceptable to work in pajama pants despite nobody seeing me do it. I know we're not the only ones

Well,at least stop wearing the ones with the bunnies on them!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Well,at least stop wearing the ones with the bunnies on them!!
    I thought they were devils or something, or some kind of mythical thing. My wife told me that they're cupids!! Of course, I don't buy stuff like that or even notice it when I put it on.

I'm not a user of Japanese tools. Didn't know the tang was welded on. It all still has to be blended and smoothed out,which takes time and effort. Isn't the blade also tapered?

Speaking of scraping steel,as toolmaker,I had to help make an 18th. C. type of scraper used in sword making. The Gunsmith's Shop was interested in making some swords,and forged up the scraper. But,it wouldn't scrape. So,they brought it to me. I saw that,once again,they had neglected at add relief to the cutting edge(they did this before on a tap they made which wouldn't cut). I took the scraper,which was sort of like a large,solid steel spoke shave made without a separate blade. They left the bottom flat. I hollow ground it for them. Then,it cut just fine. They had to sharpen it by honing the vertical front face of the scraper.
    Yes George, the blades are also tapered and of course the tapering is done very precisely and by hand. The forge weld of the tang is typically done with a scarf joint. Pretty impressive.

Blog Entries
    Hah, so long as that is the worst thing I'm doing there are no complaints. There have been times where I'm in shirt/tie and good flannels and I just can't help but try out a new tool.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-22-2014 at 3:04 PM.

Actually,I just made that up,David. I thought they were some kind of sweat pants.

You guys wear pajamas? How Asian, Japanese even.
    Last edited by Jack Curtis; 01-22-2014 at 9:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    I'm no expert in Japanese techniques, but I am generally aware that they use very different postures, benches and setups in their sawing and planning. Was your frustration ripping when you were doing it the Japanese way, or when trying to use the saw in a Western sort of context - sawbench etc.?
    I think they traditionally sit on the floor which would make a western saw impossible to use.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh View Post
    I think they traditionally sit on the floor which would make a western saw impossible to use.
    They don't sit on the floor for ripping wood on the scale that the saw in question is used for. Only furniture makers, door makers and other related work is done on the floor by some. Larger scale work is done, for the most part, while standing.

I can't stand wearing pajamas while sleeping. too tangly.

You can save them for the shop then.

Me too! That and socks. I hate sleeping in socks...they get all bunchy. I just keep my jammies piled on the floor next to the bed so I have something to put on when I get up.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Same here, only time I wear anything to bed is if it's especially cold, might throw on a sweatshirt or tshirt.