Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First time doing Built-ins/casework - questions

Matt, I just did some of that myself. Sherwin Williams recommended their Wall and Wood Primer followed by the ProClassic I mentioned above. I sprayed with my HVLP with the biggest needle/nozzle set. I thinned with water 10% and it sprayed like a dream. If you can't spray it, I'd roll it to get the best possible finish. The primer raised the grain some but sanded very easily with 240 grit foam pads and left a smooth surface for the paint.

Thanks Matt! I'll have to roll/brush it since I'm not setup to spray when it's this cold out.

Before buying plywood at Home Depot, you might want to check with a local lumberyard or a wood specialty store if you have one. I bought 3/4" maple ply from a local shop that also does a lot of custom moulding. Everything they carry is first rate. This plywood was $52 per sheet and was a lot nicer than my shop needed. I was going to use birch ply but it was about the same price. Often you will find ply that has a decent side, and a "serviceable" side. That was the case with the plywood I looked at at Home Depot. The plywood I bought at the wood store looked so good on the lesser side that I had to be careful when I was setting up dado and rabbet cuts to make sure I was doing them on the right side.

Thanks Lee for that advice Lee. Lowest price I found around here for birch ply was $58/sheet and that was for overseas material. I'll make sure to double check before I purchase though.

Anyone from NEO have any plywood source recommendations?

If your going paint grade, I would use MDO

Around here, I can get premium 3/4" MDO for $55 to $60 a sheet (both sides) and it really is a joy to work with compared to shop ply. Well worth the extra money

If you can't locate a source, I know Home Depot has been known to special order it. Check it out, you won't be sorry

I did this about 2 years ago:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...light=mud+room

It was cherry veneered plywood with solid cherry face frames. I finished it with Waterlox. White is the fashion now and it'll be cheaper than hardwood. Couple things, though:

I underestimated how much abuse this takes. If shoes are going anywhere near it, plan on something that's extremely durable or repairable. Painted WOOD meets this criteria, varnished hardwood does too. Mdf not so much. Even the cherry ply (and I didn't skimp on the quality) takes a bunch of dings.

If I could do it again, I would use a solid wood slab or panel for the deck/desk (in your case).

Also, remember to plan for lighting and if you can incorporate electrical into your cubbies, cell phones might like to be charged there too.

While I used 3/4" cherry ply for case sides and seat, I used BORG 1/4" birch ply for the back. If you are painting it white, you can consider a beadboard back for texture.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-06-2014 at 8:42 PM.