Thread: Sanding disc storage

Sanding disc storage

For those of you who use 5 or 6 inch sanding discs, have you found a good way to organize them? I've got a nice little organizer from the box store for 2 and 3 inch discs but I can't find anything big enough for 5 inchers.

Here is what I have done, I cut dados about every inch so I could move the shelf as needed, it is all scrap MDF and hardboard.

The big thing is the little MDF block, it keeps them flat, I hate it when they roll up.

P1203675.jpg

Jim, mine isn't as fancy as Bill's. In fact, I may copy his, but I'll still hang it on the wall. When I need it, I can lift it down to the bench, but when I don't, it's out of the way.

IMG_8484.jpg

As for the small disks, I love the clear plastic Talenti gelato containers. Gelato's pretty good, too, except the weird flavors.

IMG_8485.jpg
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

The hoarder's answer:

A lidded container for the Frog (green) brand masking tape available makes a dandy container for 5" disks.

Steve Worcester packages each different size grit in like a sandwich bag, they are labeled, i just put them on the bandsaw table when i need them, then back in the drawer (if i clean up)

Doug! You think you have enough right angle die grinders? Maybe you should buy a couple more... You really have a thing against having to change grits, eh?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Doug! You think you have enough right angle die grinders? Maybe you should buy a couple more... You really have a thing against having to change grits, eh?
    Funny you should mention that, Jim. They're on sale again at HF for around $11 and I was thinking about picking up a few more. The sanding disks are twist-loc, also from HF, so it isn't the grit, just the diameter. They do spin too fast for the rotary rasp, so I'm going to move that to an angle drill.

Don't they eat up lots of CFM though? I don't think my compressor could keep up...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

And another sanding disc storage device.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

I use a old floppy disc box it works great for 4 and 5" disc.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

I just picked up an air orbital sander with 2" and 3" H&L pads. Reading this thread made me start thinking about organizing my sanding discs. What I came up with is to buy a section of PVC with the inside diameter as close as I can get to both the 2 and 3 inch pads (one piece of PVC for each size) then cut them down just above the center, then section off for each grit. I hope this very quick drawing gives the right idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Robinette View Post
    I use a old floppy disc box it works great for 4 and 5" disc.
    So you are talking about the really old 5 1/4 discs... you can still find these boxes or you still have these types of boxes?
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Underwood View Post
    Don't they eat up lots of CFM though? I don't think my compressor could keep up...
    Yes. I have an 80 gallon tank at 150 psi. It's reduced to 90 psi at the outlet. I cycle the compressor after a few minutes, usually before I get through all the grits.

Floppy disk storage box

I use a storage box for 5 1/4 floppy disks. I actually remember those and feel a bit older now that I put it in writing. It is nice with a hinged cover to keep airborne dust off them when not in use.