Thread: Dust collector what part do I need (see pic)?

Dust collector what part do I need (see pic)?

The picture shows a broken wye on my Penn State 1 hp dust collector. I am thinking that I do not want a branch system but just want to connect one hose directly to the collector. I cannot figure what part I need to order and it looks like I need a part that has a screw that connects to the collector just like the wye I would be replacing. As you can see, over time, I never used the other branch and the cover on that branch was made of cheap plastic that split and I think I am losing a lot of suction power by having this branch system with an unused port so I like to connect my hose directly to the machine. According to my measurements the opening from the dust collector is 5 inches in diameter and the Branch ports are 4 inches in diameter to accommodate a 4 inch hose.

I cannot figure out from looking at Penn State industries or rockler what part I would need to order to replace the plastic wye.
    Attached Images Attached Images

All you should need is a 5" to 4" reducer to connect your 4" hoses. If you were to run 5" hose, (other alternative), you would have greater airflow, and possibly, better dust collection. Penn State has the reducer you need in their economy duct work section, part number is R-RED54.

Good luck

Clint

tape that thing up and move on .or i just repaired a broken plastic part of a shutoff switch with plastic epoxy . new switch was 60$ but the glue was 3$ and i had the tool up and running the next day . just thinking of other options

I would wager if you take out the screw, you'll be able to remove the wye and be left with a stub a couple inches long. Depending on the diameter of the stub you may need an adapter like a plumbing Fernco to connect a 4" hose.

You can just put a piece of something flat on it and the suction will pull it tight. A little tape or a screw-and-wire mcgyver job will make it stay in place when the DC is off.

If you want to turn a corner and go from 5" to 4" a wood box will work too. I have one with two 4" inlets I mounted to one of my dust collectors so the hose and ducts could run off parallel to the impeller in order to essentially back the collector against a wall.

image.jpg
    If your dc has a 5" input you can use one of these with a hose coupler/connector