Thread: HVAC WYEs from HD

HVAC WYEs from HD

I picked up a few WYE's from the borg yesterday to do some inexpensive mods to my dust collection and when I got home I realized they were all made backward with respect to air flow. The only way to install them is with the crumpled edge on the inside against the airflow. Is this common with HVAC components? Seems like it will make some significant problems with airflow and potential clogging.

Note: If my airflow is going to the left, I would think the edge that gets installed on the inside should be to the left side of each piece, not the right, so the air flows over the joint, not into it.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 01-05-2014 at 10:09 AM.

Most HVAC components are designed for distribution of air, not dust collection, so the crimps are oriented opposite to what you need. You can flatten out the crimps and add new crimping on the uncrimped ends with a crimping tool. Personally, I use S&D PVC pipe for my dust collection ducting and don't have that issue.

I have a crimping tool, looks like I'll be using it. I was not thinking about the flow when I picked them up. It may be more work, but I prefer the galvanized metal ducting.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Payne View Post
    Most HVAC components are designed for distribution of air, not dust collection, so the crimps are oriented opposite to what you need. You can flatten out the crimps and add new crimping on the uncrimped ends with a crimping tool. Personally, I use S&D PVC pipe for my dust collection ducting and don't have that issue.
    Last edited by Jim Foster; 01-05-2014 at 10:55 AM.

Drawbands come with or without a crimped end.We use the latter(make our own fittings) on DC sections that need to come out for service.We also use drawbands as duct hangars(albeit shorter).We make them with one of the ears long.....it still functions like a regular,in that it encircles pipe and is bolted.The long leg then gets cut and bent at a 90* and gets screwed to mounting surface.Takes longer to explain than to make 3 or 4.

If you have a pop rivet tool, maybe you could make a coupling, which would allow you to use the fittings in the proper direction. My spiral pipe requires couplings, I bought several, as crimped fittings don't work with spiral pipe, they are just a piece of pipe about 6" long, that you insert inside the pipe, and if you need to crimp the other end, you could.