Thread: Larry Williams on Sharpening

Larry Williams on Sharpening

​I've been watching Larry Williams' DVD on sharpening moulding plane irons. Terrific info and I'd like to put his suggestions to use with my collection of hollows and rounds. He uses a flex shaft grinder in his methods with a few abrasive bits and I'm wondering where to source them. Any good suggestions for a grinder with a 1/4" collet? I'm also wondering where to source the conical abrasive attachments he demonstrates; he describes one as a "rubberized abrasive" bit which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Any help appreciated, as always. (And I just realized that this might be a power tool suggestion - but the end result will be sharp Neander tools).
    Last edited by David Peterson; 01-05-2014 at 2:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    My Dremel came with a flexible shaft though it is more like 1/8". A lot of abrasive bits are available for it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Rio Grande and Gesswein sell all kinds of abrasive bits.

mcmaster carr also has abrasive cones. Some cheap expendable pink alundum and silicon carbide cones can be found in harbor freight 1/8th and 1/4th drive kits.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    mcmaster carr also has abrasive cones. Some cheap expendable pink alundum and silicon carbide cones can be found in harbor freight 1/8th and 1/4th drive kits.
    Yeah, I've also gotten the latter at the local auto parts store. Mine are poor quality, but serviceable for rough work, if you follow up with slips. I don't use my moulding planes enough to grind them, but use the cones semi-regularly with incannel gouges (and I use them in a drill, because I'm too cheap to get a flex shaft grinder).

The first hit on this google search should give you the specs on Larry's setup, and tells you where to get the cones he uses.

http://www.google.com/search?q=larry...ol+woodcentral

Great info - thanks all. I have a very old Dremel that I bought in,,, let's see,,, 1975? That was back in my youthful, wood airplane model days. Perhaps a flexible shaft could be fitted to my existing but I thought this would be a good time to modernize. Not that I have to do exactly as Mr. Williams does but the attachments he uses in the DVD seemed more robust than anything I'd seen in the Dremel line-up.

Adam - the link was very useful. Info right from the source.
    Last edited by David Peterson; 01-05-2014 at 4:58 PM.