I know the Sam Maloof finishes, both the do it yourself version as well as what's on the shelf at Rockler, have been beaten to death all over the internet. I just had an idea regarding the wax/oil topcoat. Since most agree beeswax is hard to come by, has anyone tried to mix a oil/mineral spirits with Minwax Paste Wax (or Howard Feed n Feel was from HD or any equilivant) and gotten a similar result? Just thinking something off the shelf being easier to find might make this a little easier.

The reason being is I'm finishing two nightstands from mahogany, cherry, and I shaped the drawer handles from figured claro walnut. I did the mix of 1/3 BLO, semi gloss poly, and mineral spirits. Did the second of 4 coats today was going to do two coats of 50/50 mineral spirits/semi gloss poly as a wiping varnish topcoat. Just got to wondering if the easier to find wax would mix well or would offer any better result if anyone else had already thought of it?? I plan to make a matching queen size bed out of the same materials so I'd like the finish to match on both pieces. Look is important, as is durability. Don't want the plastic poly look, but don't want to have to wipe another coat on it every year. Granted it's a bedroom set and not a dance floor, but you get the idea.