Thread: Grain Filler

Grain Filler

I have read, some time ago, on a site that the water based grain fillers are problematic. It seems the dry too fast for one thing. I could use some advice as I have a walnut clock case and a blanket chest on the horizon.

I have never had the "too fast " drying issue, I use Aqua Coat , works pretty well.

I do strongly prefer the oil based fillers. They shrink less (particularly if you find brands that are mostly silex as the solids) I also appreciate the longer work time that allows the excess to be scraped and rubbed off with burlap sufficiently that virtually no sanding is needed. Yes, you do have to wait several days or a week before finishing but otherwise the advantages are to the oil based.

I have been using Timbermate, water base available at Woodcraft, to fill pores in mahagony with no problems. If you experience premature drying just wet a cloth/rag and wipe any lumps or wait 3 hrs and sand.

I've not used Timbermate, but would be reluctant to use a product that remains water soluble, only to be protected by a top coat. Since lots of things can happen to topcoats, in my mind that makes the overall finish system less protective. Other waterborne grain fillers do coalesce and become water resistant. Their problems are the shrinkage and the rapid drying not the additional weakness of having a water soluble layer.

I use Timbermate too. It's my favorite.