Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Purchase at Harbor Freight?

What Do You Purchase at Harbor Freight?

In changing the cutter head of a Minimax FS35 from standard to a Shelix head, I needed to several large metric hex head screws. The L shaped hex wrenches didn't work because of the torque on the screws. The answer seemed to be socket hex bits. After choking at the cost of some hex wrenches online, I decided to check Harbor Freight. About ten bucks for the set that might be used once annually. Worked flawlessly and seemed decent quality and has a lifetime guarantee.

It's not often I get tools there but it might be time for a change to less expensive items infrequently used. So, what tools or items do you purchase at Harbor Freight (or another less expensive retailer)? Is it worth it to purchase their tools?

I actually bought a pneumatic scaler from HF in 2012. Worked great for the ~6 hours I needed it to work. Haven't used it since. Generally, I avoid HF, but they had it, no one else did, and it was reasonably priced.

I purchased one of the 40400 compressors and it worked for 6 years. 99 bucks. Can't beat that with a stick.

Its downfall was that it had pot metal connectors. It pooped out, so I went to HD looking for the $400 compressor - the USA stamped compressor with oil lube. But HD had the new improved version of the 40400 stamped HUSKY for $79, and this time it had brass fixtures on it.

Also bought an 18 gauge nailer, which I expected to never use. Bought brand name nails for it, though. Used it this year to do the edge pieces on flooring, and am very happy with it. It did a good job sinking the nails into moisture resistant OSB and didn't damage anything.

Also like to get junky consumables from them, like blue zirconia sanding belts and brass brushes and such, and their buffer can be used as a beat around buffer if you just need something to smack around and overheat.

I tend to be pretty careful about what I buy from HF. I've bought clamps, wood screws, transfer punches, pressure pot (now a pressure chamber for resin casting) and some of the worst duct tape I've ever used. However, since I'm not taping ducts, but am using it to "thicken" bowl blanks so they can be gripped safely by my Cole jaws, I ain't gonna sweat it.

I have their 2 hp dust collector and 23 gauge pinner. Also a set of wrenches that I didn't care if they get lost but they are real nice and my go to now. Have a no contact thermometer and an OBD II meter and brake bleeder.

tire irons, tire bead breaker, car buffer, things like that. Of course, it's all junk, but sometimes that is pretty good enough.

I'm actually trying out a 1/4" Trim Router as a spindle on my ShapeOko CNC mill.

I also like their small, medium and large plastic organizer/storage trays --- always pick one up w/ a 20 or 25% off coupon when I'm visiting the local Woodcraft store.

drill press milling vise . it's really nice & way cheaper than anything else on Amazon that had 1/2 the features
    it was on sale & I had a 20% coupon $65.oo out da door
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Furniture dollies, 1000Lbs capacity for$ 7.99... I noticed on one of the casters there was a sticker that said rated at 330lbs. I re-purpose these for mobile bases, and such. At $2/caster it's a bargain.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mahan View Post
    drill press milling vise . it's really nice & way cheaper than anything else on Amazon that had 1/2 the features
    it was on sale & I had a 20% coupon $65.oo out da door
    I didn't know you could use the 20% coupon on sale items.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I didn't know you could use the 20% coupon on sale items.
    as long as the sale item is not a sale coupon item , then yes . You have to watch the signage in-store & on their flyers for the things marked as on sale but not a coupon item . I wait till the stars align & what I want is both on sale & they offer a 20% off one item in a email . Been wanting that mill vise for long time but I couldn't bring myself to pay 119.oo HF full price
    A mill vise on a drill press is sweet when making jigs in metal stock
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I have to laugh when I see an ad in the supply catalogs for 15.00 for a spring-loade punch. HF gets about 3.00.Max.

I made a mistake and bought a couple of the cordless drills about 10 years ago. One for the house to keep my good stuff in the shop, and one for work to change out license plates on the service drive. Each lasted about 2 chargings. I buy disposables mostly: Glue brushes, Gloves, etc. Only other electrical tool I've purchased there is their 10" tile saw. It does a great job for $200.00! Paid for itself in tool rental fees the first 2 rooms I used it for. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I got a great deal on a rubber hammer. I also bought a $10 23 gauge pin nailer on sale. I keep hoping it will quit working so I can buy a nice one but it just keeps on working after years of steady use.

Measuring tools like calipers and dial indicators which are plenty accurate for what I need. Spvarious brushes and nitrile gloves. Grinding wheels for the angle grinder. Really. toying that involves electricity though.