Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CV1800 installation

My cyclone is a Bill Pentz design I built. It has the exact same 5hp motor as the Clearview and their 16" impeller along with the exact same filters they use. Just those items purchased new but not all at the same time cost about $850 to $900.

I have a 8" main that does end up splitting into two 6" runs. With 3 blast gates open I draw 18.5 amps with seasoned filters. The motor rating is 20.8 amps. I CAN NOT have only one blast gate open if there is any flex in the line as it WILL collapse it so I rarely if ever close the one to the table saw.

I have no idea on the cfm as I don't have the test equipment and it makes no sense to spend that type of money for a one time use of it as my duct work layout hasn't changed in the 5 years since I set my system up.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    Janis, you're wrong on the SDG specs. The inlet on the 3hp model is actually 7" and the impeller is bigger than 13". It's in a case that is 20" diameter, and I don't want to take it apart to see how big it is, but I think it's safe to assume it's not a 13" impeller in there. The 3hp Baldor is a 3450 rpm motor. Curious too, how many amps is your machine drawing at load?
    Actually you don't have to take it apart. Get up on a ladder and measure the diameter of the motor plate minus about two inches for overlap so they can bolt it to the blower housing and you might get an idea of how big the impeller is. You will also need to subtract a little more to allow for clearance in getting the assembly in and out of the blower housing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Actually you don't have to take it apart. Get up on a ladder and measure the diameter of the motor plate minus about two inches for overlap so they can bolt it to the blower housing and you might get an idea of how big the impeller is. You will also need to subtract a little more to allow for clearance in getting the assembly in and out of the blower housing.
    Alan, you're probably right, so in 16" ish range is likely. I agree with your remarks about not buying measuring equipment in an earlier post, and apply the same philosophy here. It works very well, so I really don't care enough to dig into it much. It'll collapse duct too, so I leave a gate open all the time, usually the chop saw hood. Figure at the cfm it moves, the air gets filtered pretty regularly that way. I also usually leave that gate open when I'm using another, for instance the Felder shaper/saw/planer/jointer combo machine. That machine has great dust collection though.

Quote Originally Posted by Janis Stipins View Post
    OK, I confess that I'm a little baffled here, because it seems like some of you have a vested interest in the CV1800 having poor performance.
    I was just thinking this same thing yesterday as I read this and the thread about the magazine article reviewing the CV. I know I am probably wrong, but I cannot recall a CV owner dumping on Oneida like it is the other way around - and this goes back a bit while looking into my DC purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrus Brewster 7 View Post
    but I cannot recall a CV owner dumping on Oneida like it is the other way around - and this goes back a bit while looking into my DC purchase.
    Quote from earlier in this very thread by Janis,

"What this all means is that if I want, I can make my CV1800 into a much uglier Super Dust Gorilla by putting a 8x6 reducer on the intake port. :-D"

The vitriol goes both ways.

We all have our opinions, have fun with them. For clarification of my opinion though, I am an Onieda owner, and I am only posting on this thread because the wrong specs were being used in a discussion.

Quote from earlier in this very thread by Janis,

"What this all means is that if I want, I can make my CV1800 into a much uglier Super Dust Gorilla by putting a 8x6 reducer on the intake port. :-D"

The vitriol goes both ways.
    Just to clarify, that was definitely not intended as vitriol. I was trying to cleverly say two things:

1) The fan curves of the 5HP Super Dust Gorilla and the CV1800 + 8x6 reducer are going to be quite similar, and
    2) The SDG looks a lot nicer than the CV1800 does.

I actually don't feel strongly enough about this topic to summon up any vitriol at all. :-)

-Janis

Just to clarify, that was definitely not intended as vitriol. I was trying to cleverly say two things:

1) The fan curves of the 5HP Super Dust Gorilla and the CV1800 + 8x6 reducer are going to be quite similar, and

I actually don't feel strongly enough about this topic to summon up any vitriol at all. :-)

-Janis
    That's exactly how I'd read it...that you were taking a good natured shot at the Clearvue for not having the shrink wrapped polish of the Oneida.

Gilroy...I remember that town well. I got my pilots license in San Jose, and I clearly remember flying over Gilroy....probably just NEAR Gilroy...one day, and the garlic smell was overwhelming, even from the airplane I never did manage to stop in to try the garlic ice cream. One of my regrets before moving back east from CA.

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Gilroy...I remember that town well.
    It's a nice place to live, except for those few weeks in the summer when the smell is pretty rough. Apparently not all that much garlic is _grown_ around Gilroy, but a huge amount is _processed_.

And missing out on the garlic ice cream should be way, way down your list of regrets. :-)

-Janis

OK, I confess that I'm a little baffled here, because it seems like some of you have a vested interest in the CV1800 having poor performance. I don't have an opinion one way or the other, I'm just measuring what's happening. It's especially strange to me that this is causing such a discussion, because the numbers I'm measuring are exactly what anyone should expect based on the physics.

Let's do a back-of-the-envelope calculation to see what I mean.

The impeller on the CV1800 is 15" diameter. The impeller is shaped like a circle; I'll skip the calculus, but it turns out that the average distance of points in a circle from the center is 2/3 the radius. So if the impeller were uniformly filled with air, the average distance of the air from the center of the impeller would be (2/3)*(7.5") = 5". Now, in reality, the air is more heavily distributed toward the outside of the circle, and there is a vacuum in the middle; but we can say that 5" is a lower bound on the average distance of the air from the center. The actual average distance is higher than 5".

Now the impeller spins at 3450 RPM. The average distance the air travels as it goes around one revolution is 2*pi*5", which we can round off to 30", or 2.5 feet. The air, on average, travels (3450 RPM)*(2.5 ft) = 8625 FPM as it passes through the impeller. And remember, this is a LOWER bound, based on a significant UNDER estimate of the average distance of the air from the center of the impeller.

Next let's note that the cross-sectional area of the side of the impeller is very closely matched to the cross-sectional area of the intake duct. This means that I would expect the FPM at the intake duct to be roughly the same as what we've estimated for the FPM in the impeller.

So now, when I tell you that I put an anemometer up to this system, with no muffler, brand new filters, and essentially no static pressure loss due to ducting --- just a straight piece of pipe long enough to actually SMOOTH OUT the airflow going into the cyclone --- and I tell you that I measure something in the vicinity of 9000 FPM... why is that hard to believe? It's very much in line what what we should expect. It's not like I'm claiming my cyclone can cure cancer or travel through time or anything. :-)

I really don't have a horse in this race, so to speak. If the performance of this thing were poor, I'd tell you all that. But it's not poor; it's right in line with what I would expect from a 15" impeller spinning at 3450 RPM. That shouldn't be controversial at all.

If the Wood Magazine article is causing any of you some stress, let me offer the obvious and almost certainly correct explanation:

The 'engineers' involved screwed up, possibly due to disinterest, but most likely due to incompetence, in setting up the system. Then they screwed up again, possibly due to disinterest, but most likely due to incompetence, by accepting the bad data that their common sense should have told them was way off. The editors involved looked at the result, very possibly noticed that one of their major sponsors came out way on top, and did not feel compelled to ask the engineers to double check their work. End of story.

I do hope I'm not hurting anyone's feelings or coming off as TOO much of a jerk when I observe that most people screw most things up most of the time. Engineers, even elite ones who graduate from elite schools, are not exceptions. And the engineers who have time to do odd jobs for Wood Magazine are DEFINITELY not exceptions.

The laws of physics apply in my shop just like they do everywhere else in the universe. There's nothing mystical about a 15" impeller spinning at 3450 RPM and moving air at roughly 9000 FPM.

I note with some interest that the fan curve for the Super Dust Gorilla does not start at zero static pressure loss. Rather it starts at 2.5" of static pressure loss, which implies that that is the internal loss due to the cyclone and filter. That also is very much in line with the internal loss of the CV1800, which is not surprising, since they're very similar.

I don't know the impeller size of the Super Dust Gorilla, or its RPM (which I think might actually be variable based on load), and I don't know how the cross-sectional area of the impeller path compares to the 8" intake port. But I do know that somebody who DOES know those three things can do an estimate just like the one I did here, and I can tell you that what they come up with is going to be in the vicinity of 5000 FPM at the intake port. That won't be mystical either.

-Janis

EDIT: OK, I just did some Googling, and according to Oneida engineers, apparently the 5HP Super Dust Gorilla was basically a minor modification to the 3HP model which has a 6" intake duct; according to them, they just beefed up the motor, increased the fan size, and put a bigger intake port on it. I'm going to guess that the impeller size on their 3HP model was roughly 13", since the 3HP motor is going to struggle a bit with anything much bigger. By the same method we used above, that would result in an airspeed of 7590 CFM in the impeller. Assuming the impeller path was roughly matched to the 6" duct, that would have resulted in roughly 1500 CFM at the intake duct under next to no load. Hey, that matches the fan curve for their 3HP model (which also doesn't start at zero loss).

Now let's do what they did, and increase the fan size --- I'm assuming to 15", to compete directly with the CV1800 --- which would result in 9000 FPM in the impeller, like we estimated above. (The HP of the motor will affect how well the motor can overcome the resistance of the ducting, but we can assume that both the 3HP and 5HP are able to spin at 3450 RPM with next to no load.) Finally let's increase the intake duct to 8", which makes it bigger than the impeller path by a factor of 16/9. Correspondingly we should expect an airspeed of (9/16)*9000 FPM = 5062 FPM at the intake. Magic! No, wait; I said it wouldn't be mystical. ;-)

What this all means is that if I want, I can make my CV1800 into a much uglier Super Dust Gorilla by putting a 8x6 reducer on the intake port. :-D
    Janis, you aren't just disagreeing with me. You are disagreeing with the guy who designed the CV1800 - Bill Pentz. See his table embedded in the SP calculation spreadsheet if you don't believe me. Also, your estimation of air velocities and mass flow are wildly off because you don't understand the physics of fluid dynamics. You have no idea what a gross oversimplification of the problem you are making. Bill Pentz (of whom I am not a big fan) provides some engineering fundamentals on his website that you would do well to study and understand.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 01-08-2014 at 9:04 PM.

-Janis
    Hi Janis, disregard then, I took it another way. You know, I think the CV looks pretty cool. I bet watching planer chips would be almost hypnotic.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Janis, you aren't just disagreeing with me. You are disagreeing with the guy who designed the CV1800 - Bill Pentz.
    I don't feel like I'm actually disagreeing with anybody; I just posted what I was measuring in my shop, and you expressed disbelief that it was possible. I'm not going to argue about that, because of course it's possible, because it's actually happening. I just thought it would be helpful to give a rough argument explaining why what I'm measuring shouldn't be surprising.

See his table embedded in the SP calculation spreadsheet if you don't believe me.
    That's the very table I was referring to when I suggested you could interpolate (to estimate entries for a 5HP motor with a 15" impeller), and then extrapolate back to 2.5" of static pressure, to see what you might expect for my system under next to no load. That would be another way to see that what I'm seeing isn't unexpected.

Also, your estimation of air velocities and mass flow are wildly off because you don't understand the physics of fluid dynamics. You have no idea what a gross oversimplification of the problem you are making.
    I'm going to try to tread carefully here, so as not to sound like too much of a jackass. We'll see how well I do.

I have a pretty good idea about fluid dynamics; let's just put it that way. I have a good idea about how much I oversimplified the problem. For the purposes of coming up with a ballpark sanity check for a barely-loaded 15" impeller spinning at 3450 RPM, my simplification is easily good enough.

And you know what's the best argument I can give you that my estimate is reasonable? It's not that I studied fluid dynamics at the best engineering school in the world. Although I did do exactly that, as I mentioned earlier, that's no reason to assume I'm right about anything. No, the best argument I can give you that my estimate is reasonable is that it is very much in line with WHAT I AM ACTUALLY MEASURING IN MY SHOP. :-)

If you are going to keep arguing that I'm mistaken about this, the best way would be to get a CV1800, hook it up to a 30A circuit, put 10' of S&D pipe on its intake, measure the airflow, and then find out that it's radically different than 1850-1900 CFM. I've presented several pieces of evidence, some stronger than others, indicating that you shouldn't expect it to turn out that way:

1) basic physics would lead you to expect at least 1800 CFM
    2) the name of the thing is 'CV1800'
    3) the analogous Oneida 5HP unit claims 1860 CFM under no load
    4) my own actual experience in my actual shop with an actual CV1800

Nonetheless, you could do that experiment and find something very different than I did. And when that happens, I'll be very interested to find out the explanations for why each of these pieces of evidence pointed to the wrong conclusion.

Alternatively, you could take a careful look at those four pieces of evidence I'm using, and give a plausible argument that they are incorrect. But you aren't doing that either; you're just claiming or implying that:

1) I don't understand basic physics
    2) the number in the name of the CV1800 is unrelated to its performance
    3) the Oneida 5HP model is either not comparable to the CV1800, or else does not actually pull 1860 CFM under no load
    4) I am either mistaken or lying about my experience in my shop

It's possible that all those things are true. But it's also possible that you inexplicably hate ClearVue, and are going through all kinds of logical contortions in an attempt to invalidate a very reasonable, very plausible observation that I made and came here to report on.

I guess that anybody still following this terrible thread will have to decide which scenario is more likely. I'm going with the 'Art hates ClearVue' theory, myself. :-)

In the meanwhile, I'm done discussing this with you.

-Janis

FWIW, when I bought mine...and I think I have the old 1400...the expectation at the time was that it would move an honest 1000-1200 CFM through a 6" PVC pipe. That's my fuzzy recollection. 1200+ through the 1800 doesn't seem unreasonable.

I bet watching planer chips would be almost hypnotic.
    Well, it might be, but I suspect you could go deaf watching! :-) So I keep mine in an enclosure behind my shop, where unfortunately I can't watch the chips. :-)

-Janis

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    FWIW, when I bought mine...and I think I have the old 1400...the expectation at the time was that it would move an honest 1000-1200 CFM through a 6" PVC pipe. That's my fuzzy recollection. 1200+ through the 1800 doesn't seem unreasonable.
    Yep, I agree. The 1442 CFM figure that they give for the CV1800 is for a 'complete system', based on average ductwork in a small shop. The ductwork to my table saw is less than ideal, because the space is tight and weirdly shaped, so I have more bends than most people probably would have; so it makes sense that I'm a bit under that 1442 CFM at the end of my ductwork.

I also bet that if you disconnect your 1400 from the ductwork, put on a short length of smooth, straight pipe, and clean out your filters... you'll measure something just around 1400 CFM. :-)

-Janis

Wow, my head hurts now..lol

So, how bout the Grizzly...