Thread: Stanley 750 handles

Stanley 750 handles

Does anyone have a drawing for the 750-type handle? Or for the LN bench chisels, which I believe use the same handle pattern?
    Failing that, would anyone be willing to make some quick measurements, with calipers, of a 750 (or LN equivalent) handle? I would only need 4 measurements:

- the length of the short taper that lines up with the outside of the socket (basically, the top part of the handle).
    - the diameter of the narrowest portion of the handle (right behind the taper).
    - The largest diameter, near the bottom.
    - the total length of the handle.

Thanks very much in advance.

- Steve
    Last edited by Steve Voigt; 01-07-2014 at 2:01 PM.

Here you go

I got these dimensions off of an old 720/750 handle. I used it to turn a bunch of new handles for my chisels. Just ignore the tapered portion. From experience I can tell you that it's usually different for each handle.

Dominic Greco

Those are lovely handles Dominic!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    I have several Stanley 750 chisels. I have not found any uniformity in the handles.

I have a Montgomery Wards chisel that needed a handle and put a Lie Nielsen handle on it.

I prefer the feel of the Lie Nielsen handles.

Dominic, your handles sure look like the Lie Nielsen handles except for the butt.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 01-07-2014 at 4:03 PM.

Fantastic, thanks Dominic! Those handles look great!

- Steve

L-N and Stanley chisel handles are similar, but not identical. As pointed out the butt of an L-N chisel is not tapered as in Dominic's Stanley drawing. The big difference not shown is the lack of a leather strike washer on the Stanley, which was an important standard feature. Leather washer are easy to do. When turning the handle using Dominic's pattern, the last 3/8" of the handle should be turned down to a small round tenon, also 3/8 in diameter. To make the washer, glue three layers of heavy cowhide together and drill a 3/8" hole in the center. Cut out an over-sized blank and glue it over the tenon using Gorilla Glue. When dry, turn the leather smooth with the rest of the handle. Finish to your choice, including the leather.

Last edited by Mike Brady; 01-08-2014 at 9:36 AM.

Mike. . . Some great info. I have been wondering about specifics on the leather washers for reabbing chisels. Couple of questions if you don't mind.

I am not sure what you meant by an oversized blank.

Also, most of the old chisel handles that need new washers seem to have tenons lager than 3/8". None of them are 750's though. Is 3/8 pretty standard and the larger tenons are from previuos owners pounding the bejeezus out of the chisels? (bejeezus being a technical term).

Good questions Allen since I didn't make that very clear. The blank refers to the laminated leather sandwich with the hole drilled to match the tenon size. It simply needs to be larger than the handle, which at this point would already have been turned. Glue the sandwich onto the handle tenon and let it dry thoroughly. Chuck it back into your lathe exactly like it came off of it, and turn the lamination down to fit the rest of the handle. The leather turns very easily. While you're at it finish the handle w/ leather right on the lathe at lower speed. The leather will burnish nicely. You can part off the excess tenon (which can be any length as long as it is proud of the leather), or you can cut it off with a fine saw like a flush cut saw. Done.

The tenon can be sized in proportion to the handle: 1/4" to 1/2". The one in that photo is about 1/2". By the way, drill the hole in the leather with a forstner bit...very important to get a clean hole. Drill it while the leather is a large blank and then rough it to size. Better yet, make a bunch of washers for future use, then cut them out.

Last edited by Mike Brady; 01-09-2014 at 2:38 PM.

Many Thanks, Mike!

Do you have a jig for chucking up an existing handle?

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Not sure about that question. I use a 4-way chuck and a center in the tail stock. Its pretty hard to chuck up and exiting chisel handle. That's why I wait until everything is perfect including finishing before cutting that tenon to length. I've done enough handles now that the taper for the socket is mostly by eye. Let me know if I answered your question.

I filled out my Stanley 750 bench chisel set with LN. I think there is a big difference between the two handles. Slight differences in diameter and taper make a huge difference in comfort. Personally I do not like the LN handles. They are too smooth and make my hands sore (it is like I have to "work" to hold them.) Also the horn beam is extremely loud when struck with a mallet. I end up wearing hearing protection when I'm chopping dovetails. I've planned for a long time to replace the LN handles with 750 copies. I think the biggest dimensional difference that causes me problems is the diameter near the socket - LN is smaller (Diameter "D" in my picture.) That smaller diameter combined with the smoothness of the finish make them more difficult to hold (IMO). I've refinished a couple of my 750 handles by scrapping off the finish (which usually includes lots of paint - like they were used as a paint stir stick?), I then dye them with water based red mahogany then home-made walnut husk stain. This is followed by brushing on several coats of shellac. I finish by rubbing them out with 0000 steel wool and paste wax. I probably should try this on a LN handle to see if it helps with gripping.

I have the following 750's: 1/8", 1/4", 3/8".1", 1 1/2". My LN's include 1/16", 3/8", 5/8", 3/4" & 7/8". The dimensions I'm listing are for the Stanley. Most are very similar (tolerance differences?), but the 1 1/2" is definitely different. The picture has a 5/8" LN, 1/2" Stanley (my grandfather's) and a 1 1/2" Stanley

Diameter "A" ranges from 1.110 to 1.135 for all but the largest. The 1 1/2" measures 1.185.
    Diameter "B" (tenon for leather washer) is 1/2" for all.
    Length "C" ranges from 3.40 to 3.45 for all but the largest. The 1 1/2" measures 3.225.
    Diameter "D" is 0.885 for the three smaller chisels, 0.920 for the 1", and 0.975 for the 1 1/2". The LN chisels measure about 1/8" less (around 0.75) for all of mine.
    Diameter "E" ranges from 0.690 to 0.720 for all but the largest which measures 0.775.
    Attached Images Attached Images