Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell What Power Tool You Don't Need/Want

Tell What Power Tool You Don't Need/Want

Other than the radial arm saw many people lack, what power tools do you not want or need? I really do very little with a lathe and don't own a scroll saw though I did long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    what power tools do you not want or need?
    This does not compute.

I have 2 radial arm saws.

Used to have 3.

I wish I had never purchased any Ryobi products. I still have a few from when I got started and I think they are all flawed in enough ways to be useless. Actually they are worse than useless because they use up valuable shop space and serve as reminders of money wasted.
    Last edited by david brum; 01-08-2014 at 1:59 AM.

For me, besides the RAS, it was the biscuit joiner. It was one of those things I bought at the beginning because, well, at the time , it was God's gift to woodworkers. Than, after a few fails and a bit of experience, I parked mine until a neighbor asked about it. I promptly shoved it into his hands and said," Your welcome."

I don't need a $1400 chop saw or a Domino either. I have several other Festool tools, but those I don't need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I don't need a $1400 chop saw or a Domino either. I have several other Festool tools, but those I don't need.

I agree on the Kapex miter saw that's just a waste of cash IMO , but I like my Domino
    I don't want a lathe or a scroll saw either RAS as well
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I had an old 6" Delta jointer. I absolutely hated to change knives when they got dull because it took me a couple of hours to get 3 knives all set to the same height. I also found the bed was too short to joint long, wide boards because I couldn't keep the board tight to the bed for the full pass. To solve the long board issue, I started using a jointer plane and found I could get better, straighter edges. Then I started to use a jack plane to flatten rough lumber before sending it through the planer, and the jointer was just taking up floor space. I gave it to my brother and haven't missed it at all.

I wish Ryobi still made some of the tools they made/sold back in the 70's. I have a 2 1/2 horse D-handled router that will outperform most of my other routers. I also have a circular saw from the 70's that is still going strong, although with a new cord or 2 over the years. As for tools I don't need; I have a scroll saw that I got from a pawn shop that will need a serious de-rusting if I ever decide a need for it.

Well first off that's 2 entirely different question that have little to do with each other.

What I don't need…..about a third of my shop I don't really "need", but are nice to haves that make life easier. I could fill a book with machines I don't "need", just to pick one I'll go with a double end tenoner.

What I don't want…..hmmmm that's a tougher question. Given the opportunity it's tough to come up with a machine that I wouldn't want to have around if I could. Of course you run into the constraints of reality….space, cost, etc etc.. But if I can ignore those, yeah I'd pretty much have one of each please

JeffD

I have and do not use my hand held belt sander. I have used and would not own a hand held planer. I have ,but no longer use a 1" wide belt sander. Same for a 4" round disk sander. I have a 6x48 stationary belt sander that I use a lot. It has a disk sander on it that I never use so I did not even install it when I assembled it.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

I use my RAS all the time.
    It's 2 of the 3 dovetail jigs I don't need.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    I wish Ryobi still made some of the tools they made/sold back in the 70's. I have a 2 1/2 horse D-handled router that will outperform most of my other routers. I also have a circular saw from the 70's that is still going strong, although with a new cord or 2 over the years. As for tools I don't need; I have a scroll saw that I got from a pawn shop that will need a serious de-rusting if I ever decide a need for it.
    Yeah, it's a shame that Ryobi seemed to go the consumer route with their stuff, at least the offerings I see now at the big boxes.

My first lunch box planer was a mid 1980's Ryobi AP10, built like a tank and was still going strong when I gave it to a contractor buddy a year or two ago.

Pretty dang close to Makita in terms of quality but at a lower price point.

I have no want or need for a format or sliding table saw. No need for hand tools except for the ones that you plug in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Other than the radial arm saw many people lack, what power tools do you not want or need? I really do very little with a lathe and don't own a scroll saw though I did long ago.
    Well, there isn't much that I don't *want*, but I don't want this cutoff saw - just looking at it scares me.
    swing arm saw (Small).jpg

The radial arm saw is not a problem, its the one mounted on the wall beside it that gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about using it!

Mike
    From the workshop under the staircase, Clinton Township, MI
    Semper Audere!

Quote Originally Posted by mike holden View Post
    The radial arm saw is not a problem, its the one mounted on the wall beside it that gives me the heebie-jeebies thinking about using it!

Mike
    Awesome! An old swing saw. Those can perform open heart surgery.

If you're not careful.