Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Difficult Tenon Shoulder Made Easy

Difficult Tenon Shoulder Made Easy

Today I needed to check whether the tenon shoulders of some curved stretchers were square .

This reminded me of a jig that Jeff Miller posted on his blog, which previewed a forthcoming article in Pop Wood magazine. This consists of a vise and a flush cutting saw (attached to the sole of a "plane").

Link: http://furnituremaking.com/wordpress/tenon-shoulders/

Jeff's jig:

I needed this today. However it occurred to me that I already had one .... as do many of you as well.

"I do?", you ask. Yep .. it's your Moxon dovetail vise.

As long as the chop is aligned with the rear of the vise and has some width for regiistration, then you are good to go.

Line up the shoulder you know ...

Use a flush cutting saw to cut the opposing shoulder. This will be square with the first shoulder ...

You can use a paring chisel if you only need to trim a little from an existing shoulder ...

Done ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    This reminded me of a jig that Jeff Miller posted on his blog, which previewed a forthcoming article in Pop Wood magazine.
    So many ways so little time...

That "forthcoming article" is in the February issue which is available for free download.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks for the tip Derek.
    Curious, what's the hinge on the back of your Moxon vise for?

If your tenon shoulders don't come out perfect off the saw(using a jig)then I don't see any advantage to using one.

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Thanks for the tip Derek.
    Curious, what's the hinge on the back of your Moxon vise for?
    Here ya go Judson: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...rtheMoxon.html

Neat idea Derek. More and more uses for my moxon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    Here ya go Judson: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...rtheMoxon.html

Neat idea Derek. More and more uses for my moxon.
    Thanks Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    If your tenon shoulders don't come out perfect off the saw(using a jig)then I don't see any advantage to using one.
    Not meant to discredit or belittle the tenon tip Derek adapted or came up with, but I would not recommend this to beginners learning to saw or cut tenons, unless the intention is to use a hand tool just to tell people a hand tool has somehow been used rather than to learn the necessary skills and techniques to use the tool. Frankly, to cut perfect tenons, why not use the router/tablesaw and a jig?

Some of my students used a block to help guide a saw to cut straight and square down and I encouraged them not to...and by the end of the sawing class, those who took my advice had learned how to saw properly -- plumb, square, etc. Some would still need a block to guide their sawing.

It's ok to use a guide but that should be a training wheel and not a permanent way of doing certain things and in this case, cutting tenons.

Simon

Hi Simon

When I first saw Jeff's jig, my first reaction was "why in hell do we need that?"- all that is required is to score the shoulder, endercut it as a fence, and saw. No biggie - done this lots. And it develops hand memory.

However, the jig is not intended for straight stretchers/rails (although I can envisage some adapting it by adding a vertical fence). The jig is intended for curved stretchers/rails, where it is difficult to mark the opposing shoulders.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for the clarification, Derek.

Simon

Why is everyone calling this Jeff's jig, it is a copy of a very old french chair makers vise and saw.tenon saw.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tom McMahon View Post
    Why is everyone calling this Jeff's jig, it is a copy of a very old french chair makers vise and saw.tenon saw.jpg

I was a bit confused as such by this; Jeff even discusses this fact in his article.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Truer words have never been spoken. On the web there is someone putting their name to a centuries old process, tool, or practice every minute. It's really sad and shows a serious lack of depth and integrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    However, the jig is not intended for straight stretchers/rails (although I can envisage some adapting it by adding a vertical fence). The jig is intended for curved stretchers/rails, where it is difficult to mark the opposing shoulders.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    How can it be difficult to mark the opposing rail, but easy to jig a saw to it? Couldn't you just use that jig and then run a pencil along it? Obviously you still need the jig, but it would not be a massive jig that would have all the loads that thing deals with. I also sorta think if I knew this problem a little better I could come up with something soon enough. For one tihng, shoot a 20 or 30 thou stock in the first kerf and then make for it freehand, or just sight it and draw the line etc...

I have to say, I think a saw plane, once in the shop, might very well give rise to a million uses.

For the same reason that The Bench is now called a Schwatz bench, and no longer a Roubo, though that is pretty reasonable, really...

It is an amateur woodworking rule that all past art is named after whoever first gets it into video or print. Sorta similar to how all modern music is copyrightable, but not to the benefit of the people who actually first penned it if they live a hundred or so years ago. I was thinking that maybe since copyright, at least for commercially valuable stuff, is essential for ever, that we should extend the rights regime to any descendants of people who may have a prior claim. Seems only fair.

An even easier jig!

I needed to check the shoulders again, was too lazy to pull out the Moxon vse fr this, looked around the workshop, and came up with this ...

Surely everyone has a couple of wooden handscrew clamps?

Regards from Perth

Derek