Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Might get to retire early

The good news is that $6 per hour is tax free money because nobody is making a profit at that price so the business is reporting a negative amount at the end of the year!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Mark Smith
    Tracy, CA
    Mark's Custom Woodcrafts
    Legacy Artie 58 CNC
    Hurricane Ivan 60 Watt Laser

Hobby or not, if it's true someone is losing money, just on the laser wear/tear and electricity. I suspect a scam but who knows, someone might be that dumb. You should have told him you charge $60.00/minute.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Maybe its an elaborate 'Brewsters Millions' type situation
    L Squared Lasers UK
    2 x Halo Lasers 20 watt fiber
    1 x Halo CO2 Galvo System
    1 x Shenhui 1512 80 watt
    3 x Electrox D40
    3 x electrox Scriba 2
    1 x Electrox Scorpion 40 watt Fibre
    1 x Epilog EXT36 75 watt.

I think I'd reply that you were notifying them that their email going out to 3rd world potential suppliers was accidentally sent to you.

I got a reply today, thanking me for replying to their request. They said that they understood completely and realized that the previous supplier was doing them a favor because of the cause it was related to (I don't know the cause, I read it, but it wasn't anything like "we're selling them to pay for a puppy to have an important operation"). They said they would talk to us soon about some work.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

I have had a similar situation today. I sell small 50mm tall 3mm thick MDF letters on eBay. The price is $1/letter. More than they really cost to do and I would list them cheaper but I can't do it because eBay does not allow BIN items to be listed for less than $1. Instead I have had to setup a low cost for shipping each letter. Today one guy has emailed me and asked me to give him a quote for 26 letters. As it's listed it would cost him at least $26 plus shipping.
    26 letter order with such cheap letters is not a huge amount so I told him I can do them for $0.65/letter plus shipping. And he asked me for a better price after that. It seems that 35% for just $17 in total worth order is not enough for some customers.

Surprisingly most of my eBay buyers buy even more of these letters without asking me for a discount at all. And that's in spite of the fact that I mention in their item description that I am happy to give some discount for orders over 20+ letters.

If anyone contacts me and tells me some strange rates from "other supplier" I usually just tell them it is unbelievable low and they are all lucky to find this supplier and I recommend them to buy from that place. There is nothing to match really it is just not worth doing at all.
    And these "bargain hunters" are not trying to make something 10-20% cheaper, they are pushing me a few times cheaper. I just know that nobody can do it locally for that "better price".

Memory drawer just opened up..

Any ever get this customer? This was awhile back, before I ever had a laser--- guy calls me and says he just bought 5000 [small] frying pans from China. Only they forgot to put "made in China" on them. I ask if diamond-etching is ok. YEAH, they just have to say "made in China" on them somewhere! Ok- bottom seems to be the best place, I'll have to unwrap each one, the handles made matrixing out of the question so they're a one-at-a-time deal, then repack them... Did a little math, and gave him a quote of a $1.00 each.

Poor guy about had a cow over a buck... "My gawd, I only paid 25 cents each for the pans! Can't you engrave them for less???!!"

No, but I'll bet someone in China can...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Well, at least they were courteous enough to reply. Being in the D.C. hustle and bustle I get pushed all of the time to do it cheaper. I never do and still end up getting most of the work. Generally I ask the potential account to ask this "low price place" for a certificate of insurance and also if the would fill out a W9 for them if I am being solicited by a business. I say it nicely and thank them for the opportunity. Usually get most of the work they initially inquired about. Not all but enough to let me know my strategy is on the right path.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Novic View Post
    Well, at least they were courteous enough to reply. Being in the D.C. hustle and bustle I get pushed all of the time to do it cheaper. I never do and still end up getting most of the work. Generally I ask the potential account to ask this "low price place" for a certificate of insurance and also if the would fill out a W9 for them if I am being solicited by a business. I say it nicely and thank them for the opportunity. Usually get most of the work they initially inquired about. Not all but enough to let me know my strategy is on the right path.

Great points Doug, it's surprising how many "businesses" think they are exempt from those things like Tax, Insurance, Liability ,product marking etc

cheers

Dave
    You did what !