Thread: oil over a sealer

oil over a sealer

Is it ever reasonable to use a penetrating oil (walnut or BLO) on a turning that has been sealed with a sanding sealer or shellac? I thinkI have read of people doing it but I have a hard time understanding how it makes sense. Also, it makes sense to me to use a "tung oil finish" (mineral spirits + varnish) in this situation and not one of the "tung oil finishes" (mineral spirits + varnish + oil). Am I on track or off base?
    thanks.
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

On your first question/statement I agree it makes no sense trying to put a penetrating oil on sealed wood.

On the next point I think you may have a few terms confused. Tung oil finish is a term used by a few manufactures. Some are as you stated MS and varnish (really a wiping varnish) The next one, MS + varnish + oil iis really an oil/varnish blend aka Danish oil. Most don't even have real tung oil in the mix.

A wiping varnish is fine over a sealed wood; an oil/varnish blend is not a good choice.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Hey Scott, Happy New Year.

I see that Steve has gotten his website up and running. It's got all the old goodies. I hope Steve elects to participate regularly on Wood or here.
    Howie.........

Thank you, Scott.
    Donate blood. The gift of life.

Wells, in general, using an oil over a sealer isn't going to very workable. That said, in the turning world, you can sometimes use the friction of the moving workpiece to "cure" the oil product as you apply it. The heat from the friction helps things along...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...