Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple of big'uns

A couple of big'uns

Well, not trying to out do Bob, but I was told I should post one of these... Well, thought I'd post them both. They are both just roughouts. Won't be able to finish turn them for a while.

First one is some spalted ambrosia maple. 27.5" across. Blank was 107 lbs. when I mounted it to the lathe. Ended up 18.6 lbs.
    IMAG0081 - Copy.jpgIMAG0082 - Copy.jpgIMAG0083 - Copy.jpgIMAG0085 - Copy.jpgIMAG0086 - Copy.jpgIMAG0088 - Copy.jpgSANY2216 - Copy.jpg
    I drink, therefore I am.

Second one is flaming box elder. Again 27.5" across. Blank was 138 lbs. when I mounted it to the lathe. Ended up 38 lbs.

SANY2241 - Copy.jpgSANY2243 - Copy.jpgSANY2246 - Copy.jpgSANY2249 - Copy.jpgSANY2247 - Copy.jpg
    I drink, therefore I am.

Those are over"big", must have made a big pile of shavings.

4. Very nice work, Mike and some nice wood............do you have a market for such large pieces?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Those will make some nice large bowls when finished.

Boy those are big. I have a giant silver maple log that the tree trimmer delivered months ago and I haven't gotten to it but I think I could manage a super sized one like these. It wont have the character though.....

In the first set of pictures the last picture would be better if the bowl would have been held 2 feet higher and at least a foot to your left!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Mike - those are beauties!!!! I look forward to seeing the finished product.....I bet the finished weights will be significantly less! Nice work.

Mike Ash

Steve, yeah, the last pic of the Box Elder shows a nice pile!

Roger, I do have a guy that wants one this big in cherry. Now, to find the cherry!

Thanks, Thomas.

Yes, I'm sure you can handle it, Scott! Have at it. Just start with the lathe, um, slooooooooow. I think I started these out at around 180 rpm. Tick.....tick....tick....tick.....

Mike, I'm looking forward to the finished products, too. And I have a feeling you're right about them losing some weight. However, at this size, I think they'll still be heavy...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Great big stuff, Mike. Why would you ever decide to remove the bowl from the blank with a series of plunge cuts. I suppose the answer is because you can but I would think working your way around would be a lot safer.
    faust

Well, I checked this thread because of the title . . . . Not quite what I had hoped to see but still VERY impressive!!
    I'm a big chicken and won't turn anything larger than about 15 1/2 inboard and marvel at all of you who go BIG!!!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Would have been sweet to try to core those...don't drop that sucker on your toe!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

that is big, thanks for sharing, Mike....enjoy

Mike, those are really beautiful pieces. They will look outstanding without having to apply any "makeup". You just can't compete with Mother Nature. Now if Leo posts a couple of those Canadian monsters he has turned we will be in for a treat. Can't wait to see these two finished. Thanks for posting them.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Faust, with all the plunge cuts, you keep all the outside wood in tact for HFs or other turnings. Yeah, not the safest way to cut out a blank if you (not you specifically) aren't comfortable with a chainsaw.

Peter, sorry, TOS say I can't give you what you're hoping for!

Jim, I thought about it. But the AM had been sitting here quite a while (too long actually) and parts were punky and there were some cracks. The largest I can core is 14" and for me, it isn't worth it unless I can get some blanks out of it that I can't otherwise get. When wood is what I call...spectacular...I core (usually burl) or if I want a nested set.

You are certainly welcome, Charlie. Actually, I wasn't going to, but had been asked to. If all goes well with re-turning them, I'll post final pics.

At this stage, I have 5 hours into each turning.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Wow, they are going to be a couple awesome bowls.