Thread: Airshield Pro or wall mounted DC next to lathe?

Airshield Pro or wall mounted DC next to lathe?

The subject says it all. I need better DC at the lathe, I'm coughing and wheezing after sanding at the lathe. My current DC is too far from the lathe to be very effective, I'm also considering upgrading the whole system, but I know a lot of you guys use the Airshield.

Cost would favor the wall mounted DC.
    Where did I put that?

Rob,

You are comparing apples and oranges.

A wall mounted DC will get the larger dust particles but won't get all the small stuff IMO.

The Airshield Pro would provide better protection for your lungs IMO and provide a face shield too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken has it right. I wouldn't dream of turning without my Trend airshield pro on. You must be able to filter what goes into your lungs.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

I have both plus a ceiling mounted air cleaner. Each one has uses beyond just sanding at the lathe.

The Airshield Pro provides the best protection, although often I prefer not to have to deal with the extra weight.

My lathe has a dust shroud with a 6" blast gate connected to a Clearvue DC. It does a great job of pulling in the sanding dust, even when power sanding. You can see the dust cloud all going straight to the DC. I still get an occasional sinus headache the next day when I am lazy about the Airshield. I have never had a sinus headache after using the Airshield, so it is obviously clearing the most dangerous dust.

Steve

5. In my opinion, you need both.........a dust collector and an Airshield Pro. That is what I have done and it has made a big difference for me. I used to get sinus infections on a regular basis it seemed, especially in winter time when I had to keep the double doors of the shop closed. I also had pneumonia in 2006 and spent time ICU and almost died..........can you say wake up call?

I also have an overhead air cleaner on the rafters up above and slightly behind me when I turn.......the combination of the three things has done wonders for my health.

It seems a bit expensive at first, but one trip to hospital or doctor when you are really sick will convince you to use all the breathing protection you can..........far less expensive in the long run!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I do have a DC at the lathe, it's just inadequate because of a long run to the bag. I also have an air scrubber so I guess the air trend is next.

You say you’re coughing and wheezing…you know why? Your lungs are trying to get rid of stuff that shouldn’t be there in the first place!! DC at the tool is just about useless except for a drill press. Your vacuum has to exceed the speed at which the particles are created and the degree range they cover. Protect yourself and stop protecting the equipment. Trend is a good idea!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-10-2014 at 5:20 PM.
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

I have an excellent dust collector with high CFM and HEPA filter and agree that it is nearly useless at the lathe. As an Asthmatic with acute dust sensitivities, my Trend Pro makes the difference between being able to turn or not. I actually use both when fine sanding at the lathe, however actually getting the dust into the collector is a real challenge. And just for added insurance, I run a ceiling mounted ambient air filter too. Can't be too careful when it comes to your lungs.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-11-2014 at 1:22 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

-------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11

To add to the sound advice above. An airshield provides a very important element: SAFETY. Read the posts about experienced turners who were killed or seriously injured. No dc can prevent that. There is also a post about putting a cut plastic tank over your piece. It will really pick up a lot of dust, but again, no protection.

Hilel
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

The most affective dust collection is at the source, not after it's flying around in the air. Wall mount collectors are not know for fine dust removal. So I don't like either of your choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The most effective dust collection is at the source, not after it's flying around in the air.
    The most effective breathing protection is at the source... your nose and mouth Wear some kind of mask. $30 like i posted or fancy Airshield.

U can spend thousands on dust collection, have tons of arguments on size of pipes, pipe runs, static pressure, types of hoods, filters, type of cyclone, etc etc. but you should always wear a mask, and the dust collection will help keep not as much from getting to your mask. And keep the shop clean.
    -------------------------------------
    Adrian Anguiano

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". Jeremiah 29:11