Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is this guy???

Blog Entries

Who is this guy???

I came across this image doing a search. The site was about organizing your garage. There were no captions, but it had this photo. It's like a vision from a dream. Look at all those profile planes, that Ruobo/Shaker style bench, the leg vise, the pattern vise... Wow.

Anyone know who this is? Please tell me so I can know who my new hero is.

http://wonderful.toponday.netdna-cdn...m-workshop.jpg

image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I came across this image doing a search. The site was about organizing your garage. There were no captions, but it had this photo. It's like a vision from a dream. Look at all those profile planes, that Ruobo/Shaker style bench, the leg vise, the pattern vise... Wow.

Anyone know who this is? Please tell me so I can know who my new hero is.

http://wonderful.toponday.netdna-cdn...m-workshop.jpg

image.jpg
    That would be Gene Landon. Most if not all those tools have been auctioned. Gene passed in 2011.

Tony
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 01-11-2014 at 8:39 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

The late Gene Landon.

Blog Entries
    Thank you all, and thanks for the link, Joe. I am sorry I never got to meet him. I'm sure we would have gotten along quite well.

Wow, I thought some of you guys had a lot of planes, Mr. Landon set the bar high.

Joe,
    Thanks for posting the link; this is a high quality memorial eBook of a master woodworker and his tools - fascinating download - thanks again!

That pic only shows a fraction of the tools in that shop; the proverbial tip of the ice burg. Rick

I had the high honor of knowing the late Gene Landon through SAPFM. A superior craftsman and a nicer gentleman has rarely walked this earth.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

The photo is by Mark Schofield and was in Fine Woodworking Issue 174, Winter 2004/2005.

Gene was first class human being,who wanted to share his knowledge of period furniture construction with us all. What a great guy and a genuine person!

I was just looking him up in FWW and found this video if him in his shop talking about an exquisite Queen Anne chair he reproduced. http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodw...ide-chair.aspx (it doesn't look like you need to be a member of the paysite to see this)

Seems like a wonderful knowledgeable guy and craftsman.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Holy Moly !!!
    What an impressive tool collection! This book is an education in itself. I would have loved to meet this gentleman.

I'd assume he was from pennsylvania, somewhere? He talks like my grandparents talked (south central and eastern PA influence). "made in uh-mare-eeee-cuh"

Not that it's a bad thing, I just recognize the accent.
    Last edited by David Weaver; 01-13-2014 at 10:49 AM.

In addition to a look at a wonderful tool collection, the book is a good reference for tool prices at auction (with dates). From the auction locations (Avoca, Nashua, etc) it looks like they were handled by Martin Donnelly. (just noticed in the front pages it was mjd)