Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Sawstop questions

New Sawstop questions

bought the 3hp pro model before 2013 ended. material wants to lift when ripping. what is that a sign of?
    was hoping for better dust collection. get better collection with my modified 1985 unisaw. any suggestions for improving without overarm collection?

Wrong or dull blade. Blade too low. Feed rate too high (doubtful).

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    material wants to lift when ripping.
    what material?

also, are you using an appropriate blade? low # of teeth and high positive hook angle? for ripping, it is recommended to have a blade with 20-40 teeth and a high positive hook angle (18-22 degrees). Although some people get good results with a combo blade of 40T and 10-15 degree of hook. I like a dedicated rip blade my self.

i've experienced some lift when ripping wood when my blade was gunked up with wood resin. when the back part of the blade comes up out of the table, it is rising into the wood, and if the blade is dull, dirty, etc, it can in effect "lift" the wood near the back of the blade.

a good cleaning with a resin remover and a toothbrush solved my issue.

hope that helps.
    Last edited by Craig Behnke; 01-12-2014 at 11:01 AM. Reason: changed rake to hook

Are you seeing this on both crosscuts and rips?
    Is the splitter aligned well? fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    fence?
    That would be the first thing I would check.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

For dust collection I don't have the overarm unit but I do hook my shop vac up directly to the blade guard and works great. I just hook the hose over the fence and the end of the table and it never gets in the way.

How is the fence alignment?

Also, for dust collection, I would strongly avoid operating a table saw without overarm dust collection. It makes a huge difference, and for a non-braked saw, it makes it pretty hard to get your hand under the guard and near the blade. In any case, the brake may save a finger, but the dust collection will definitely help your lungs. Being one of the more important organs, I choose the lungs over a finger. I've never understood how a saw with such a great blade break would skimp on the dust collection.

How did they skimp on dust collection?

Is your dust collector hooked up in reverse?
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Also, for dust collection, I would strongly avoid operating a table saw without overarm dust collection.
    I would say that only 1% of table saw owners have overarm dust collection, and the other 99% aren't about ready to run out and get it.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I would say that only 1% of table saw owners have overarm dust collection, and the other 99% aren't about ready to run out and get it.
    Can't say whether that's true or not, but it's been pretty well accepted that the dust is no good for your lungs. So it's surprising that, as the origional poster states, the sawstop, a saw marketed for safety, typically has no better dust collecton than a unisaw. Maybe I'm spoiled by my felder saw, but it can cut at surprising feed rates, and with the overhead dust collection, the air stays remarkably clear.

It just seems inconsistent that people spend such a premium for the great braking system, but scoff at the couple hundred dollars for overarm dust collection.

Last edited by Stephen Cherry; 01-13-2014 at 2:30 PM.

Ripping mostly poplar with a rip blade that works just fine on the unisaw. Fence may be out of alignment? I will check tomorrow.
    As for overarm dust collection, I just cant imagine trying to get use to using a blade guard. Seems like it would be in the way so often as to be a pain .
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-15-2014 at 9:49 PM.

Ripping mostly poplar with a rip blade that works just fine on the unisaw. Fence may be out of alignment? I will check tomorrow.
    As for overarm dust collection, I just cant imagine trying to get use to using a blade guard. Seems like it would be in the way so often as to be a pain in the ass.
    Who needs a blade guard? You have a SawStop!

As for overarm dust collection, I just cant imagine trying to get use to using a blade guard. Seems like it would be in the way so often as to be a pain .
    cough, cough.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-15-2014 at 9:49 PM.

I find this incredible. Complaining about dust collection and then will not use the blade guard.