Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head stock drive

Head stock drive

Hello All,

This is my first post here but I have been lurking in the shadows for a while. I have recently been given an older lathe that was brought from Europe. It is an LMS Houtbewerkingsmachines. The headstock has bergmans tyringe sweden imprinted on it at least that is my best guess to what it spells. I have rewired it finally last night and it appears to run very nicely. I do however need a new drive for the headstock. I dont even know how to start deciding what drive I should get. Any advice or direction would be great. I plan on turning smaller things to start (fixing a few chair legs) then try turn some table legs or feet for furniture I build.

Thank you

IMG_20140112_104913_957.jpgIMG_20140112_104939_950.jpgIMG_20140112_104923_886.jpg

if by drive you mean chuck......the chuck pictured is a 3 jaw chuck which is metal turning chuck......maybe take it off, see what size spindle you have......look in craft supplies cataloge and buy one of the major brands to fit your spindle

tailstock....i do not see one in the picture, if you have one , you could jsut buy a drive center and revolving center for tailstock and turn between centers some spindles.....you are not going to turn any table legs without a tailstock........

i like the way the tool rest is loosen to move..... enjoy

Thank you Charlie for your fast response. I took the chuck off and have a spindle with an OD of 19mm. The inside is also threaded with an ID of 8 mm. I have attached a picture of the tailstock. It does have what I would call a revolving center. Correct me if I am wrong. Like I said im a total newbie to lathes.

Can you explain to me what the difference is between a metal chuck and a wood one? From a real quick search it looks like the wood ones have 4 jaws? is there anything else? Would it be possible to use the metal chuck or is that just a recipe for disaster? I am on a student budget but know I have to do it safely.

IMG_20140112_120853_696.jpgIMG_20140112_120900_227.jpgIMG_20140112_122313_105.jpgIMG_20140112_122323_503.jpgIMG_20140112_122330_961.jpg

4. Not sure on the specs on your spindle......it looks like it might be a 3/4" x 10 tpi .......and possibly a #1 morse taper. You could call Bestwood Tools or look up their website.........they either have them in stock or can make you the right one.

There are other vendors you can check as well. Craft supplies or Packard Woodworks might have it, but Bestwood Tools is a sure bet, I think. Here is a link.......

http://bestwoodtools.com/

I presume you are speaking of a spur drive. They have it! Also, they can make or have adapters for your spindle if you want to put a scroll chuck on it as well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

The three jaw chuck can be used on round wood stock but the jaws are designed to grip metal, jaws for wood have a larger contact area. It will likely be difficult to find an adapter for those threads.

i think maybe find a machine shop, have them make you a drive center to fit the inside threads, thats not a normal thing, woodturning drive centers have a smooth shaft mostly with either 2 morse taper or 3 morse taper. but machine shop could match those inside threads and thats would let you turn the table legs

So I was looking on bestwoodtools and found their texas spur drive centers and thought this would be perfect to solving my threaded drive center. However, my spindle is 3/4" with 10TPI which they do not carry. So I went on the hunt for an adapter. I found PSI has an 3/4" 10TPI to 1" 8tpi adapter. Any feedback on this or using an adapter? This solves my thread issue but then I also found PSI 7-piece multi spur drive center set. (link below) Would this be a good or bad purchase? experiences? Also would it be feasible to have an adaptor with this set attached? I just feel that it is quite the conglomeration of items to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworkin...=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

your spindle is OD of 19mm

• Includes 1-Inch by 8 tpi headstock mount to easily screw the centers on and off your headstock

is that the same?????????

PSI has an 3/4" 10TPI to 1" 8tpi adapter is that for inside diameter????????

almost wish i was good at converting the #'s

I remeasured my spindle with my caliper and got 3/4" (which is 19.5 mm). I would need the PSI adapter of 3/4 10 TPI to the 1" 8 tpi (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2L77EE7U53NWQ) in order to use the spur mounting kit. So I would have two adapters in order to use the spurs. (not ideal on spinning object in my opinion) I am thinking I am going to call the bestwood tools and see if they can make their texas spur drive centers in a 3/4in tpi 10. I am afraid it is going to cost me more than I am hoping to spend though.

bestwood tools are good people and make good product, good luck and enjoy

I bet you could clamp one of the steb centers made to be held in a 4 jaw chuck in your 3 jaw chuck. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LC...l?prodpage=1LC
    I prefer steb centers because they hold the wood very well and don't induce splitting. They are also great for learning because you can adjust them so a catch just stops the wood instead of making a big bang and gouge in the wood.

Ethan, you don't say where you're located, but before you start ordering specialty accessories for a lathe you're still researching, can you find someone local with more experience who can come over to see just what you have? If there is a local woodturning club in your area, I'm sure there are other turners who would be happy to help you.

David

13. +1 to letting us know where you're located. I bet lots of people here would be glad to help you out.

Now for my two cents. I'd be tempted to take the spindle to a machine shop and have them put a #1 MT in the spindle. Hopefully there is enough material to do so. Then you can just buy a standard taper. OR...... the other option would be to buy a small wood turning chuck such as this and get a drive center you can clamp in the chuck.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

I'm sure my old (1980's) jet tube lathe had a 3/4 X 16 spindle. It came with a spur drive that threaded on and did not have a taper at all.
    They should be around somewhere if you can figure out what to search for.

Here is one for a Shopsmith but I believe the shopsmith is only 1/2 or 5/8 and smooth bore, at least it shows what I am referring to.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-La...f#ht_367wt_849
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Ethan it is quite possible that the thread is metric as it did come from Europe, sold in The Netherlands by LMS, made In Sweden you think ??

Anyway you will have to make sure of the threading before ordering parts.

I know the Oneway chucks do have a spur drive that fits the chuck and the adaptor for the chuck comes in all different thread sizes and they will also machine an adaptor for a special thread, here's a link to the different adaptors HTH

http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?optio...d=96&Itemid=29
    Have fun and take care