Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head stock drive

Leo, i did not realize, that is an amazing resouce, one way is prepared.......,metric i did not expect, but why not, their lathes are sold worldwide

I have found some older posts on a Netherlands wood forum about these lathes, the shaft is apparently 3/4 inch by 10 TPI

The chuck and center and faceplates where hard to find there also, one person did have several faceplates and also a chuck and 4 drive centers, no pictures that I could find of them

LMS (van de Laar Houtbewerkings Machines in Someren) is not to be found anymore.

Bergman is a common name in Sweden and also in The Netherlands, there is a company in Tyringe Sweden that makes Metal working chucks now and is part of a larger conglomerate, not sure if that is the company that did make these lathes, that Bergman Co. has been around more than a century and could very well have been making the lathes,
    Have fun and take care

Ethan, I have a PSI 3/4-10 to 1-8 adapter that you can have for the postage. Let us know where you are.
    Joe

Joe, I sent you a private message with my address. Thank you everyone for the help and information. This is a great forum! I have updated my location in my profile so more ppl can see it. But Im in St Paul MN. Just trying to stay warm up here!

great story, way to go Joe....Ethan the national organization the AAW is in St Paul, they have offices and a gallery there....we had a national symposium there
    late june 2011 i bought a sweatshirt at symposium its cold in summer up there enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Spronk View Post
    I remeasured my spindle with my caliper and got 3/4" (which is 19.5 mm). I would need the PSI adapter of 3/4 10 TPI to the 1" 8 tpi (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2L77EE7U53NWQ) in order to use the spur mounting kit. So I would have two adapters in order to use the spurs. (not ideal on spinning object in my opinion) I am thinking I am going to call the bestwood tools and see if they can make their texas spur drive centers in a 3/4in tpi 10. I am afraid it is going to cost me more than I am hoping to spend though.
    3/4" is 19.05. Find a good hardware supplier and buy some nuts to check the thread. Don't assume anything because the outside diameter measures something. I would still suggest that it is metric. If you can't find the hardware to check it, all machine shops have a thread gauges to measure these accurately. You could also find a drive spur that is smooth on the outside diameter and you could grab that with the chuck you have. No need to go to the spindle.

Would something like this work to put it in my current chuck, then put the spur in that?

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/00185025?src=pla&008=-99&007=Search&pcrid=15557577904&006=15557577904&00 5=21882504424&004=4409695744&002=2167139&mkwid=sJX egN7a0%7Cdc&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test_sJXegN7a0_PLA__15557577904_c_S&026=-99&025=c

Leo had confirmed the thread size from a forum he had found. He also had some background information on this brand of lathe. I feel quite confident that the threads are 3/4 10TPI.

My thoughts were if this adaptor works (or something similar) to drive my spurs then I would get the PSI thread adapter from Joe and so I can buy a new chuck to spin bowls and what not.

if that works and you do buy a new chuck, make sure that the chuck will take different size adapters for the spindle size, that way if you upgrade your lathe say in 10years, all you have to buy is a new adapter for your chuck.....oneway has that feature, vicmark, etc

Ethan, I guess I have some insight on this tpe of situation and I live in Eau Claire WI and would be able to give you some help in getting something fabricated for your lathe. I have a daughter that lives in the cities and could come see what you have going and also visit the grandbabies too. I will send you a PM and get the ball rolling.

Hope I can help,

Jeff
    To turn or not to turn that is the question: ........Of course the answer is...........TURN ,TURN,TURN!!!!
    Anyone "Fool" can know, The important thing is to Understand................Albert Einstein
    To follow blindly, is to never become a leader............................................ .....Unknown