Thread: best sprayable finish for windows?

best sprayable finish for windows?

Hey people, I am currently in the process of finishing the windows of our new home. I have everything done except the actual windows. I am looking for a good, quick drying, uv resistant finish for them. I have to pull the windows in order to finish them and it has been raining 4 days out of 7 here lately so I would like to get them done in as little time as I can. Plus I don't look forward to pulling them out, tearing off all the hardware, then do it over and over between rains. I would like to shoot them with the clear with my HVLP gun. Thanks,

Brew

These are wood windows? You're talking interior finish, not exterior? Do you care whether the finish is waterborne or solvent?

It is an interior window, but must be fairly resistant to the weather considering they might be left open during rain, etc. I don't care if it is waterbourne or solvent, I am more concerned about quick drying and will hold up to the weather/UV. Thanks,

Brew

I'd use Emtech 8000 "varnish" and Emtech 8800 sanding sealer. They are waterborne finishes designed for HVLP spray. You can buy them at http://www.homesteadfinishing.com. It cures pretty quickly -- depending on atmospheric humidity, I often can sand a coat in 30 minutes or so. Like most waterborne finishes, it doesn't yellow anywhere near as badly as do solvent-borne. Target (the manufacturer) says that the finish is resitant to UV. Me, I don't have long-term experience to back up that claim, but I do have a window sill which still looks good after about a year in the sun.

thanks, I will check them out.

Brew