Thread: Ash Platter for new home

Ash Platter for new home

A colleague at Mercy Ships is building a new home and asked me to make something to feature in the entrance foyer as a surprise for his wife. The designed pyro'd in the center was used on their wedding invites. The platter is 11" in diameter, finished with black lacquer, gold leaf Rub 'n Buff and Danish oil then buffed. The circle that appears on the border is only in the photo so I guess I got some reflection.

CB-platter1.jpgCB-platter2.jpg

C&C welcome
    ~ Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it that often.

Facebook albums:

newer: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151105934183105.439169.711443104&type=1&l =665115c411
    older: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.137891188104.107199.711443104&type=1&l=6dfa 0d54be

That is a real eye catcher.
    C&C WELCOME

They'll have to be proud to display this. Great job on the color and pyro.

I'm planning on Rub n Buff for a walnut vase I currently have on the lathe. Did you apply anything over the Rub n Buff before buffing?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Gourieux View Post
    I'm planning on Rub n Buff for a walnut vase I currently have on the lathe. Did you apply anything over the Rub n Buff before buffing?
    Eric, I used Danish Oil before and after the Rub 'n Buff. The "after" coat is used to remove the excess and also provides protection. Danish Oil is a gentle solvent for the Rub 'n Buff so I used it with a paper towel to leave the gold just in the grain. The "before" coat seems to help instead of going directly on to the lacquer. Got the technique from Jimmy Clewes.
    ~ Don't worry about what people think. They don't do it that often.

Facebook albums:

newer: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151105934183105.439169.711443104&type=1&l =665115c411
    older: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.137891188104.107199.711443104&type=1&l=6dfa 0d54be

Awesome job on the grain and pyro. Sealing the piece really helps prevent gold from showing up in unwanted places. I would like to have seen the bottom also done in black and gold. I use Peral Ex powders mixed in Johnson's wax. I found it much cheaper and a wider verity of colors and dichromatic affects .Thanks for sharing.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Very nice piece. Ash by itself can be rather plain but add some black with dye, lacquer or a torch followed by rub n' buff or liming wax and it's spectacular. Good job!
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelvin Burton View Post
    Eric, I used Danish Oil before and after the Rub 'n Buff. The "after" coat is used to remove the excess and also provides protection. Danish Oil is a gentle solvent for the Rub 'n Buff so I used it with a paper towel to leave the gold just in the grain. The "before" coat seems to help instead of going directly on to the lacquer. Got the technique from Jimmy Clewes.
    Thanks for the info

Beautiful platter Kelvin! The black and gold really set it off.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

9. Very nice indeed. Anyone would be proud to display that in the foyer.
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike