Thread: Moisture meters

Moisture meters

Does anyone use a moisture meter on pen blanks and larger blanks ie pepper mills and rolling pins?
    If so what brand are you using?
    Thanks in advance for your info.

HF--not a bragger but works.

I have a mini-Lignomat. You can get them from Amazon for 100 bucks. Not cheap, but I got mine in a used tool buy for 10 bucks. It works, but limited to 22 percent max, but since it's obvious that the wood is that wet, I don't think it's a real problem. For pens and mills, I usually just rough out, drill then let the blank dry/acclimate for a while. I only use the moisture meter on bowl blanks. Actually, I seldom use mine....... I personally think there could be better places to spend money. When you get enough tools, then get a meter.

I have the same one as Kyle. Got it for xmas and haven't used it much yet. Seams to work just fine when I used it on KD wood blanks that I tested. I really like how smalll it is.

I hope that helps.

Quinn

I have a Wagner pin-less meter. I like it,but it wasn't inexpensive. I think it was some where around $200.

Lowes has one for around 25.00 work just fine for what I need . There was a review done that said it was as good as the 200.00 meters , not sure if its was on the creek or not .

+1 on the Lowes meter, I bought 2 since they were on sale for 10.00
    When all is said and done--more is usually said than done.

I bought a digital food scale and weigh my rough turned bowls. When they quit loosing wt I finish turn them.
    Where did I put that?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    I bought a digital food scale and weigh my rough turned bowls. When they quit loosing wt I finish turn them.
    Good way to do it for bowls and you can use the scale to determine shipping weights, too.
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph M Lary View Post
    Lowes has one for around 25.00 work just fine for what I need . There was a review done that said it was as good as the 200.00 meters , not sure if its was on the creek or not .
    Thanks for your post. For that price I just bought one and will pick it up tomorrow. I turn pens and small stuff, but I've bought some spindle blanks (3" x 3") or thicker that seemed pretty heavy. I've use the weight method in the past for bowl blanks so decided to give a moisture meter a try. I realize that the expensive ones are more accurate. I think you can look at it relatively though like a bathroom scale. Sure the one at the doc's office is more accurate, but your home scale will tell you if you are losing or gaining weight. Hopefully losing in my case .
    Project Salvager

The key to the gateway of wisdom is to know that you don't know.______Stan Smith