Thread: Proof I turned in 2013

Proof I turned in 2013

Finished these two bowls last year, never got around to finishing them/photographing them until now. At some point I'll get a real photo setup, this is newsprint draped over a chair in my basement. The walnut bowl was from a log donated by a coworker's father who visits once a year from Ohio and brings walnut with him. I intended to put a 1" thick rim on the top on this one, just because, but a [ahem] design opportunity presented itself, and I had to turn the rim the same thickness of the bowl. I burned some lines on in memory of the rim that never was. I do like how the sapwood crosses the bottom of the bowl. I just didn't get the blank on straight enough to keep it at a consistent width. Finished with 5 coats of Sutherlands Polymerized Tung Oil left over from a bigger project.

Next up is some red oak. My bro-in-law had to take down a giant dead oak tree that was dropping limbs onto his house. I grabbed a piece and made him a few bowls. Finished with the same oil but then covered with Watco Butcher Block 'oil' which is really just wiping varnish. Figured the spalting should be covered up and not contacting food.

Thanks for looking, comments/critique appreciated.
    Where did I put that?

Nice bowls. Love the form, though I am not particularly fond of oak as a turning wood, it moves too much.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Nice bowls....I like the form and finish on both.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Beautiful lift and curve on the bowls. Almost floating. Thanks for the look.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Thanks for the comments. I wasn't crazy about working with the oak either. It's hard as, well, oak. It was more for sentimental reasons than the wood- they took down a monster oak and hated to see it go. If only I had a bigger lathe I could have made bigger bowls.
    Where did I put that?

Both are very nice.

Rob, that is some fine form. I'm always amazed at how a simple form that is well executed can be so pleasing to the eye. Of the two, the walnut bowl is my favorite. I like its depth in proportion to its width. I think you did a good job of balancing the sapwood as well. What are the sizes of your bowls?
    I think I'm in the minority here. I turn a lot of oak and enjoy it very much. Oak makes up about 80 to 90% of the native trees here.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Steve

Very nice Rob, I especially like the walnut.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Nice clean lines on the bowls Rob. I too will only turn oak under certain circumstances, the last being a few years ago for my sister because of a big oak they lost.
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

The walnut bowl is roughly 8x3" the oak is 9x2.
    Where did I put that?