Thread: Olive Wood Pepper Mill

Olive Wood Pepper Mill

I turned the companion salt grinder back in 2012, finally got around to this blank that's been looking woefully at me from the shelf since then. Used the shaftless Crushgrind mech from CraftSupply. Finished with shellac then WTF. I'm leary of the water based poly sticking to the oily wood so I use the shellac as a sealer. The mill from 2012 has held up to greasy hands well so far. Thanks for looking.

Wenge for the top plug to differentiate the salt mill which has maple.
    Where did I put that?

2. That is a real beauty! I like the design features, knob, and the olive wood grain just sends this over the top!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Rob, I really like your design. Definately different. Like the wood too.

Quinn

Beautiful mill Rob. Olive has such nice grain and color, and it smells good too.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Hey Rob,+1 on what Kathy said. This would be a beauty in any kitchen!
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

That's really nice Rob. I like the form and the wood is gorgeous. Everything lines up very nicely. I haven't seen much olive, other than Russian Olive, which isn't like this at all. Is it enough to just look for Olive, or do you need to get more specific or actually look at the wood to find nice stuff like this?
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

Truly stunning Rob. Olive wood is just so nice and you did a superb job of getting everything lined up. I like the form as well anyone would love a set of those!

8. Rob,

Great job! I Olive wood is quite striking and really makes a statement. I have a special place in my heart for Wenge though and I'm so happy to see another turner be brave enough to incorporate it into a piece. That little accent of wood variation is awesome!
    Regards,

Mike
    Wood Shop Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Herzberg View Post
    That's really nice Rob. I like the form and the wood is gorgeous. Everything lines up very nicely. I haven't seen much olive, other than Russian Olive, which isn't like this at all. Is it enough to just look for Olive, or do you need to get more specific or actually look at the wood to find nice stuff like this?
    This is supposedly Bethlehem Olive Wood, I bought it online but I'm not sure I would do it again. They took the order, 6 weeks later I had not heard anything, they ignored my emails, I had to dispute the transaction with Paypal, got my money back, then they shipped my order from Jerusalem, I paid them a second time, then out of the blue someone calls me 6 months later about the disputed transaction saying I owed them money. I don't know if it's shady business or just really disorganized- I suspect the latter. My mom took a trip last year and brought me back another piece of olive, I plan on making her a mill as well. In the end, the two pieces I received have fantastic figure, almost like marble. I bought several pen blanks as well from them that look similar. Penn State has the pen blanks, I wish they'd carry the 8x3 blanks as well. These were basically branch sections, with the the pith right down the middle. I had to fill a couple of checks with ebony dust and CA glue, but you'd never notice with all the other figure.
    Last edited by Rob Price; 01-14-2014 at 2:06 PM.
    Where did I put that?