Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little sumpn', sumpn' - Flaming vase

Beautiful form and a most spectacular piece of wood. I assumed it was colored and am amazed that it was not. Great job!
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mike ash View Post
    I like it a lot Roger!! Darn I wish I could find some of that flaming box elder. Will the brilliant red color fade or turn a bit brown after time?

Nice job.........................Mike
    Mike, I think it will fade over the years. I have had good success with putting on several coats of shellac as a sealer and then a few coats of WOP..........I have some box elder that was turned 4 years ago and still has about 95% of its color. I don't put it in direct sunlight, but they have been exposed to florescent light and regular incandescent lights in our house.

My guess is there are probably some UV inhibitors in WOP, which is used a lot in furniture........keeps it from fading from the light, if it is not directly exposed to the sun coming into a window.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Great job Roger. Nice form and the color is awesome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathy Marshall View Post
    Great job Roger. Nice form and the color is awesome.

Thank ya Ma'am!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Mike, I think it will fade over the years. I have had good success with putting on several coats of shellac as a sealer and then a few coats of WOP..........I have some box elder that was turned 4 years ago and still has about 95% of its color. I don't put it in direct sunlight, but they have been exposed to florescent light and regular incandescent lights in our house.

My guess is there are probably some UV inhibitors in WOP, which is used a lot in furniture........keeps it from fading from the light, if it is not directly exposed to the sun coming into a window.
    No UV inhibitors in WOP. That is if we are talking Minwax. It will fade. https://www.minwax.com/minwax-bbs/bb...ad_thread,9907

I read somewhere about using sunscreen over a film finish for UV protection. Haven't tried it. Might be a good A/B comparison. Turn two pieces, treat one, leave out for a couple if days.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    No UV inhibitors in WOP. That is if we are talking Minwax. It will fade. https://www.minwax.com/minwax-bbs/bb...ad_thread,9907

Thanks for the info and link on this Richard.............good to know for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Price View Post
    I read somewhere about using sunscreen over a film finish for UV protection. Haven't tried it. Might be a good A/B comparison. Turn two pieces, treat one, leave out for a couple if days.
    Really? What SPF Coppertone should we use? Now I've heard everything! "Hon, do we have anymore coppertone for the vase?" She'll really think I've spent too much time spraying lacquer!

Well, I got a total surprise earlier this evening........this box elder vase made the cover on WoW!

http://www.classic.myfamily.com/isap...tentclass=PICT

congratulations Roger, great color