Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw Decisions

Tablesaw Decisions

Ok first off Hi everyone! This is my first post over here. I am looking at purchasing a new tablesaw in March and have driven myself NUTZ with research. I have narrowed the choices down to just 3 Grizzly 1023RL, Jet Exacta 30" 3 hp or the "venerable" don`t laugh too much Sawstop 30" 3hp. After all this research and reviews I would love to have a close up and hands on look at a grizzly, however the closest showroom to me is 1100 miles away. Too far to go just for a look see. I have been over under around and through the other two saws at dealers here in the greater Phoenix area. Anyone offer any suggestions? I hate to buy something sight unseen.

It would help to indicate where you are located.

I thought I did when I said "the greater Phoenix area" AZ that is guess I missed the AZ part.
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 01-13-2014 at 5:30 PM.

Blog Entries
    The 1023 has a long and loyal following and by all reports is a solid machine. I have the SS PCS 3HP and as so many have said in the past, I would buy it even without the safety feature. On a previous saw I did find 30" to be too short too often. I simply moved the fence tube over one set of screw holes and found that 40" was adequate most of the time. When I bought the Saw Stop I went with the long rails but, this is purely a personal decision as the saw itself is the same.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Call Grizzly's customer service phone number. Tell them your situation and that you would like to see a saw near you. They will contact customers in your area with the saw you want to purchase. Many businesses purchase Grizzly products. They then will contact you with information of where you may go to look at the saw you want to consider.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    I thought I did when I said "the greater Phoenix area" AZ that is guess I missed the AZ part.
    Put your location in your profile and it will show up at the top of the post. That's where everyone looks for location (even though it was in your post).

Thanks glenn. I am going to get the shorter table because I want to add the Incra LS52-TS-WF fence system to it. http://www.toolzone.com/acatalog/inf...S52_TS_WF.html

I have already contacted Grizzly and they told me "no one" in my area was willing to let me have a look! I find that awfully hard to believe with an area as big as greater metro Phoenix, AZ area,

Given your circumstances, esp. since you are reluctant to buy sight unseen, go with the Saw Stop.

I run a dependable older Uni-saw and if looking for a replacement to it, I would go with the Saw Stop. From those that I have seen and examined, Saw Stop has a very good fit and finish, height and bevel changes are almost effortless, outstanding customer support, plus the extra advantage of the safety feature. Without starting any Internet urinating matches, my SWAG (scientific Wild Arsed Guess) is that there is no comparison between the Saw Stop and the other two. The only downside to the Saw Stop that I see is the miter gauge, but then all OEM miter gage are not known to be the best quality.

My little, biased opinion would think that if you were buying new, go with the SawStop. Safety. Also, and maybe just as important, you will be paving roads in the USA.
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Streible View Post
    My little, biased opinion would think that if you were buying new, go with the SawStop. Safety. Also, and maybe just as important, you will be paving roads in the USA.
    SawStop is not made in the USA if that's what you mean; it's Asian. Not important to me, but it's not American built.

As far as I know pretty much All the new saws have some or most parts built in China, Taiwan or somewhere in Asia even PM. So that becomes a moot point for me. I just want a really good quality saw for the money spent that I can add the Incra fence to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    As far as I know pretty much All the new saws have some or most parts built in China, Taiwan or somewhere in Asia even PM. So that becomes a moot point for me. I just want a really good quality saw for the money spent that I can add the Incra fence to.
    You are correct, most saws are Asian built or manufactured with some Asian parts (Unisaw). The Asian saws have very good quality. That said, there is a Canadian saw that's very good quality as well, General. Write someone in your local woodworking club and ask if he will ask members if they have a Grizzly. Several in the Cincinnati club have them because of the value. I show the sliding saw to anyone who contacts the club to see one or if someone contacts the manufacturer.

I was in this situation several months ago (notice I'm in Denver, where there are no close show rooms).

I bought he SawStop 3hp PCS 36", and have ZERO regrets. Well, that's not true; I wish I had bought it sooner.

Mike

If you could make it to the Northwest I would be happy to let you test run my Grizzly 1023RLX. Of course, if you could get here you would be in the same town as Grizzly headquarters. I am very happy with this saw. It is a better saw, in my opinion, than the Jet cabinet saw I had previously.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]