Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablesaw Decisions

I've worked extensively the Grizzly and the Jet. IMO, the Grizzly is an amazing value and proven performer. I remember it being stout and dependable. The shop I was in at the time mounted a feeder on it and ripped 4/4 all day long. My experience with the Jet are less positive. It was used to rip 3/4 particle board sheets in half, maybe forty sheets a week. It suffered multiple breakdowns and was eventually replaced with a PM. Currently I own a SS and love it. If I were in the market, I would be deciding between the Grizzly's value and the Sawstop's safety. The Jet doesn't offer anything special, IMO.

The safety aspect is one that you will have to budget. Both saws are awesome and values in their own ways. I have had a few close calls with my table saw and now look at sawstop technology as something I want. If you pony up for the sawstop now you will not be faced with the upgrade dilemma.

Before I made the original post, I had done a quick search "Where are SawStop saws made" and the result was advertised as headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon. I guess that changed. Oh well... Or, if advertising as "headquartered" no longer means the company provides U.S. jobs, then it no longer matters.
    Tony

I owned a Grizzly 1023RLW and now a Sawstop PCS 3HP 36". When I bought the Grizzly I debated between it and the SS. The price won out.The Grizzly is an awesome machine. I loved it. The I had a router table mishap which got me thinking about SS again. So I sold my Grz and bought the SS. The SS is better in every way. I should have bought it first and been done with it. That said, the Grizzly is a fantastic machine that will certainly get the job done. But if you have the money, get the SS and enjoy having no regrets or second thoughts.

They're still headquartered there, never made anything in the US though. This doesn't change the fact that they are incredible saws that could not be made better had they been built here. Would be nice if they were made here just for the jobs it would provide though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Streible View Post
    Before I made the original post, I had done a quick search "Where are SawStop saws made" and the result was advertised as headquartered in Tualatin, Oregon. I guess that changed. Oh well... Or, if advertising as "headquartered" no longer means the company provides U.S. jobs, then it no longer matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Reed View Post
    This doesn't change the fact that they are incredible saws that could not be made better had they been built here.
    I know a boat load of american machinist that might disagree with that assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Butts View Post
    I know a boat load of american machinist that might disagree with that assertion.
    Nothing truer ever said. I have a hard time reading these posts about pacific rim woodworking machines. None of them come close in quality than finding a nice, older Powermatic 66 that was made in Tennessee. Either an older gold era, or better yet, the green era. Nothing made that is stamped with the bear name even comes close. I've restored several of them, and have been inside where it all counts. The quality of the castings, and the sheer mass of the trunnions on an older PM 66 are what make it a much higher quality machine.

If you teach yourself to know what to look for, it's not that hard to figure out where quality makes a difference. All that cast iron mass, along with the higher quality castings to begin with, and American precision machining make the tables flatter, the trunnions heavier, and in better alignment, and a saw that is vibration free that will last you decades with maybe a $50 bearing change every 20 years or so.

I paid $300 for this one off Clist. It was made in 1985

Took it apart, cleaned it, changed the bearings, and painted it and now it looks like this:

Most of them don't need a thing.
    Last edited by Jeff Heath; 01-13-2014 at 8:26 PM.
    Jeff

You may be able to find a "shop fox" cabinet saw close to you. While it is not a grizzly...its pretty darn close. Grizzly may lack a little in fit and finish dept compared to Shop Fox, but the shop fox will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect with the Grizzly.

Please, stop the bull. Asian made machines are what they are because that is what we are willing to pay for not because they don't have the talent or ability to do better. What do you expect? I'd like to see what a factory in the U.S.A. would deliver for $1200. My Sawstop ICS is an Asian made machine and I would put it up against any similarly sized saw. It was delivered to me impecceably finished and perfectly adjusted and has remained that way in a commercial environment for five years now. Of course, I paid dearly for that level of quality. Don't think for one minute that anyone anyplace on this earth can't manufacture to the exact same specs as us. Saying we're better doesn't make it so.

Well, the way I see it is if you expect you may frequently put yourself in a position to cut a finger off , then buy the Saw Stop for sure. It will not guarantee that you will not cut a finger off anyway, but it will GREATLY reduce the chances that you will. If you don't expect such a thing will happen, it still could, so consider your choice carefully.

Myself I am very happy with my Grizzly 2023RLWX. But I realize that it does not offer the best safety protection when compared to the SS. I think, but do not remember now, that it did offer a pretty good price advantage, but that difference would soon disappear in pain and suffering, let alone medical bills, if the worst happened.

Buying the SS still does not (or should not) relieve one from practicing generally accepted safety procedures. Jigs, push sticks, hold downs and so on.

I don't regret buying my Grizzly saw...and that is the best I can say. We each have to consider what is best for us. I don't think (but could be wrong) that the SS or any other traditional table saw is that much different in capability than my Grizzly as far as cutting wood goes. I did put my Unifence on my saw, so I can't speak for the fence that came with my saw, as it is still in the shipping box.

From what I have read in the past the SS is no guarantee that you will not seriously injure yourself if the worst case happens. But it will help minimize the damage should it be called on to do so. Personally, I try to use push sticks and other means to keep my hands about 12 inches from my table saw blade at all times. Still no guarantee.

Evaluate what is best for you all around. If cost is not an issue, buy the SS. Who would do otherwise. All things considered, why ignore the best protection that is available currently? Again, if cost is no object... For me it was a consideration... I chose the Grizzly...
    Last edited by Bill Space; 01-13-2014 at 9:41 PM. Reason: correct typo
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

If it is a consideration, the prices for used Sawstops is high....on par with Festool and Lee Nielsen tools. I buy American where I can, but don't know of any table saw that is made 100% in the US so IMHO its a moot issue. The Grizzley, PM66, Unisaw, General, etc. all cut wood and do it well. For me, the safety feature of the Sawstop trumps all other saws. I've never regretted my Sawstop purchase and my wife is happy that my Unisaw is gone.

Dok,

I have used every one of the saws you have in question plus many more in military hobby shops and various other locations. I visit the Grizzly showroom and workshop in Pennsylvania a couple times annually. Of the three you mention, the Jet ranks third. I own several Jet tools but never considered their table saws on par with competitors. I would rate the Grizzly a bit higher than the Saw Stop you mention. Inevitably, someone will bring up the safety features. You have to decide if that's worth thousands of dollars over the price of the Grizzly you want.

You might try contacting your local vocational school usually run by either the high school or junior college. They frequently offer evening "enrichment" classes. Here our local college where I teach does it. They scheduled my general education courses in the shop this semester because they ran out of room in the main building. Some schools have very impressive tools including the Grizzly, Jet, or Saw Stop.

We are better. That simple. Glad your SS meets your standards and you are proud of it but that doesn't change that we do better industrial machining. US manufactures can simply make more profit using cheaper labor. Boeing farmed out parts and the company has taken a huge hit and has had to send home grown machinists to show foreign manufacturers how to machine the parts to the necessary tolerances. Just one large example.

Well I can speak to the Griz. I've got the 1023slx. I've had it for 10 years give or take. It's a solid saw 3hp and I've cut a lot of stuff with it. I've used it on 12/4" stuff. It passes the nickle test. Too bad you are too far away. I'm getting ready to upgrade to a 5hp sawstop ICS and will be selling mine. The reason is not because of a lacking in the griz, but I want more power and the safety feature means a lot. I've been upclose to a lot of PCS's and it is a quality saw. If you have budget constraints nothing wrong with it. Not in the same class though as the sawstop. It's just not. I'll clarify that I also have the griz 17" BS, 12" jointer, and Horizontal boring machine. Now if you are really budget conscious, go get an old piece of american iron. Those are even cheaper than the griz and they in most cases made better with better materials. So you can see I've got a log of griz, so I'm not anti griz. If you do go griz route, if package arrives damaged at all reject it! If you have any specific questions shoot me an email. Here's a ling to a picture set of a bed I made using the TS on 12/4".

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjDxpcFT

Thanks for all the replies guy`s! I don`t want this to degrade into a US vs the World thread here. I was just trying to see if I could get some different viewpoints on the saws I mentioned. Please no more posts about US vs the World. Try to stay on course here and help a guy out that is trying to make an informed decision. Thanks!!