Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anything wrong here - I'm stumped!!!

Cool Anything wrong here - I'm stumped!!!

It looks like an attempt to cut beams, but none of the results are very straight or consistent width.

In the "2nd world sawmill" thread in the OT forum here, the guy proves that straight boards can be sawn.

If someone from the UK sees this thread, they will say "where's the PPE, don't you guys have health and safety?"

(and for those guys in the UK, the answer is not unless you're in the workplace - and no need for a license to run a chainsaw).

The real question is, "Is anything right here?.

Just because government doesn't require safety equipment doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. I cringe when I see guys on reality shows working under cars without any safety glasses.

I generally use a full face shield under vehicles because I have gotten stuff in my eyes even with safety glasses. I also use a full face shield when grinding as I had an ER visit when grinding with just safety glasses.

Beats me, but I usually start at the other end.

Rick Potter

Blog Entries
    Many things wrong.

The blade could go through and hit the dirt. Bad for the chain. It would also be a safer cut a bit up off the ground.

It could take off his leg if it suddenly kicked.

If the chain snagged it could pull him to the ground.

Its late so I likely missed a few others.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I'd say that from safety to the condition of the saw, to quality control, this operator shows me that I would hire the Filipino in a heartbeat, and pass on the man with pants and workboots.

I'm STUMPED.

Made me laugh.... thank you.

Lornie

Obviously this is a professional in action.

This recent set of chain saw posts has made me realize that i actually own a sawmill, this next weekend, I'm making lumber!

What's the story with the photo?

I can tell you that it was taken in Latin America from the vegetation (I see a Heliconia in the picture, which only occurs in the New World) and the guy looks like an Anglo (his chainsaw looks quite new and his clothing and water bottle are more expensive that what locals wear or carry). I have traveled extensively in Mexico and can tell you that yes, he is doing many things un-safely, but that is pretty much the norm down there. In other words, if you take it in context, "not surprising".

Just my 2-cents as always.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 01-13-2014 at 9:09 PM.

Honestly… I'm betting the guy walked away in tacked so who cares
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Blog Entries
    I'm betting the guy is a regular on the Creek, saw the 2nd world sawmill thread and thought he would give it a try.

I have been enjoying the replies here.

I do my own logging on my land for personal use. Not a professional by any means. But like most people who've worked in construction for a long time (45+ years ) I take safety seriously and for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Perreault View Post
    I'd say that from safety to the condition of the saw, to quality control, this operator shows me that I would hire the Filipino in a heartbeat, and pass on the man with pants and workboots.
    What is this supposed to mean?