Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What plane next?

The LA / BU Jack plane would probably be ideal for me but it's far beyond my current budget. I'm working on a set of end tables and I want to clean-up and flatten the tops with a plane. If the price is within reach, I'd buy a vintage plane. If not, I'll make due with the #4 for a while longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The Bevel Up Jack would be my suggestion.
    It's useful, in many applications.
    The LN version has an accessory grip called a "hot dog" that makes shooting a sure thing.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

If you don't have this:
    http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,41182,48942
    or this:
    http://www.lie-nielsen.com/block-pla...-block-planes/
    you're missing out

I have both and use both. Pretty much these two, and a LN #5, is what I use for 90% of my work. Albeit, I build instruments, not furniture, but they would still be the first planes I'd have in my arsenal before anything else and I'd still use them 90% of the time. I sold my #7. Very nice to have, but unnecessary IMHO for anything but large furniture, and maybe church doors.

But that's just my opinion.

Given the budget I'd say a vintage no. 6 is definitely the way to go. You might get lucky and get a squareish one or you might not. You CAN get by by adjusting your lateral adjustments or by shimming your shooting board if you are shooting with a not so square plane...its just somewhat inconvenient....but its not a nightmare. Also, I wouldn't bother with an after market blade if budget is a concern. The aftermarket blades can be a nice improvement, but that stock blades work great.

Keep an eye out for Miller Falls 18s as well as 6s, and get in touch with Joshua Clark (hyperkitten.com) and see if he has anything for sale right now. He's one of the few tool dealers out there still selling quality tools at reasonable prices.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

This is crazy, Leach had a Stanley 62 low angle jack for $265 but a brand new Lie-Nielsen will cost you only $245 and a Veritas equivalent with a V11 blade $249.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I agree with Chris, vintage No. 6 (18") is the way to go.

Vintage #5 and #6?DSCF0040 (2).jpgDE#6c, Ohio Tool Co. 05c, Bailey #5, Corsair C-5, Four Square (SW) 5-1/4. Should do for a start??
    Last edited by steven c newman; 01-15-2014 at 10:46 AM. Reason: added a plane

I bought a # 6 recently for $40. Tablesaw Tom has a # 6 ready to go for $105. He is a retired machinist with a surface grinder - his plane are ground flat and square to within 0.0015". A quick Google will locate his website. Just wanted to give you the spread on usable vintage stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    This is crazy, Leach had a Stanley 62 low angle jack for $265 but a brand new Lie-Nielsen will cost you only $245 and a Veritas equivalent with a V11 blade $249.
    I'd imagine the market for vintage 62s is pretty much only collectors - they're much more rare than standard bench planes, and from the reviews I've heard, not nearly as nice as new ones. You see a lot with damage too - the low bed angle on large plane like this benefits from ductile iron, it seems.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice