Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Delta 33-890 RAS questions

The saw you bought is the same saw Norm used on NYW. It could run either 10", or 12" blades (with bushing.) Bushings can be had for around $1.50 each, the last time I bought some. DeWalt Service Centers, and Freud have them, along with others. Over the years, Delta used several motors on your saw. Looks like you are missing lower "leaf guards." Unfortunately, new Delta parts are impossible to find, but you make your own using some polycarbonate. The AMAZING thing about your saw is Delta listed it as PORTABLE, even though it weighs in at 300#. Portable meant, that with the table removed, two guys could carry it through a 3-0' door.

~Garth

Brian

You got a good deal !

I bought a 33-890 12" w/ 2HP for $325 - great condition last summer.

Just bought 33-??? (sticker missing) 12" w/ 1.5 HP for $250 last month for a friend.

Same casting numbers on the parts, just different HP motors.

Maybe someone else could solve the mystery

Use the RAS all the time for the type work I do.

John

Prince Edward Island, Canada's Ocean Playground
    Brian,

I have an engine hoist that I find very helpful when lifting old arn as it will lift heavy items safely and allow me to re-position them when needed. They are not too hard to find used for very little, and are easier to find than three strong friends with time on their hands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Erik

Canada's Atlantic Paradise - Prince Edward Island

So, does this mean the only real difference between the 10" and 12" 1.5 HP saws is the blade guard size?

John

Great idea! Searching for an engine hoist as i type!

7. Brian that saw doesn't weigh that much, go grab a cheap chain hoist at Harbor Freight and hook it to a board placed across a couple of rafters. I think I paid $50 for my Harbor Freight hoist and lifted a 19" bandsaw that weighs way more than your RAS with it. Just a suggestion.

I installed a low- tech solution to lifting machinery that I restore, the H.F. comealong. Image is first version, I now have a hardwood bridge spanning two joists that it hangs from, the wife is much happier now.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

My 10 inch does have the 5/8 arbor and the 12 has the 1 inch. As far as I know, that's pretty standard. My 10 inch has the 1.5 horse and I use it to spin about 3/4 inch of an 8 inch dado stack with no issues at all. It's a great little saw and built like a tank. I upgraded from an old Emerson made Craftsman(not a bad saw when set up and left alone BTW) but the Delta is in another league. It returns to its setting every time and doesn't sag as it's slid out. You got a steal, enjoy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HANK METZ View Post
    I installed a low- tech solution to lifting machinery that I restore, the H.F. comealong. Image is first version, I now have a hardwood bridge spanning two joists that it hangs from, the wife is much happier now.
    The Harbor Freight chain hoist does the same job much more conveniently. Pull one direction for up and the other direction for down, no wrangling with the ratchet to get down little by little. It was cheap and rated at 1 ton or more. Been a while since i bought it

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    The Harbor Freight chain hoist does the same job much more conveniently. Pull one direction for up and the other direction for down, no wrangling with the ratchet to get down little by little. It was cheap and rated at 1 ton or more. Been a while since i bought it
    Their 1 ton chain hoist is on sale right now for $45(!). Item #69338. Add a 25% Val-Pak coupon, and it comes down to less than $34. Not too bad!
    ~Garth

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    It was a cheap fix for an occasional need, at $15 it was the deal at the time, but like a lot of H.F. stuff it need a little detailing to make it work smoothly, I leave it in place and can walk under it without banging the old skull once the slack is taken up. I originally was looking for a simple rope fall, having seen them used in a shipyard for removing valves from boiler rooms that must've weighed upwards of a ton, but all that was around were the bike lift ones and they were more expensive than the come-along sooo...
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

You guys are the best! Had an email from HF with a 20% off coupon, got myself a 1 ton chain hoist. Will work beautifully for what i need it to do!
    Also glad to hear about the success with Dadoes since that is my planned primary use, at least for now. Saw seems like a tank! I am glad to hear it was a wise choice!
    Thanks Everyone!

14. Brian wear some old gloves with that chain hoist, the chain is filthy. Also your local farm supply store is a great place to pick up pins and shackles and lifting rigging.

b6.jpg

Blog Entries
    One little tip, I have an old paint can suspended below my hoist to collect the greasy lift chain as it comes out when lifting. If you hang it just right it collects it nicely as you raise something. When not in use the hook is raised, most of the lift chain is in the paint can and the lighter control chain is pulled off to the wall and hung over a nail out of the way.

You know when growing up I used to see chain hoists all the time, in every gas station repair shop and many residential garages but I've never seen any used ones for sale. Always puzzled as to where they all went.