Thread: Fabricated Dust collection for 12" Delta planer

Fabricated Dust collection for 12" Delta planer

Well it's kinda clunky and made outa junk ductwork, but the price was right, and it works! I started with some old pipe from a friends vent hood off their old stove. It had an accumulation of gunk from years of cooking. It was serviceable after scraping and bending flat though. Then I drew up the 4" high transition from a 13.5" x 2.75" rectangle to a 4" circle. I cut that half pattern out and transferred it to the sheet metal with a center punch and scribe marks. After the most dangerous part of cutting it out, I used some c-clamps and angle iron as a brake and put the bends in. Then a quick trip to the hardware store re-supplied me with 1/8" pop rivets. A few dozen holes and popped rivets and there you have it. Oh yeah. I had to cut off the last two inches of the original chute with a zizz wheel and die grinder. I knew I was past the point of no return then. But no biggie. Looks like heck but it sure beats cleaning up after it and sanding all the divots from chips being recycled through the head. I learned two things. I can do this. Make the top of the transition a little smaller than you think it should be. It has to fit inside the four inch collar.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Underwood; 01-15-2014 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Edit title
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Not a bad bit of tin-knocking. I have the same planer, bought used a couple of years ago, and I'm lucky the previous owner made a hood for it, but not as neatly done as yours.

Thanks. I found that the part may still be available, but it's on back order. And I didn't want to wait. Besides I always did like tinkering and fabricating. And my Dave Gingery books had to be useful for something right?
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

My favorite quote of all time.. " I spent 1/2 of my life trying to make something that cost $500.00 for $50.00 and the other half trying to scrape up $50.00"

My apologies to Dave Gingery if I didn't get the quote exactly correct.but you get the main gist.

Sounds like Dave to me!

It also sounds like me.. I've spent most of my life making stuff on a shoestring. Now that I have a little money from sold projects, I haven't outgrown the habit of burying myself in scavenged materials...
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

Dumpster Diving has no known cure! Bed rails are my favorite dumpster treasure. They are some tuff angle iron. Think about a couple 0f 300 pounders making whoopie. On second thought don't think about that. Bed rails have to be tuff!

Looks like it's going to work fine.Nice job!

Thanks Brian. It does.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I need to do something similar for my Delta lunchbox. The planer and hood are long discontinued.