Thread: Woodworkers' Guild of America?

Woodworkers' Guild of America?

I have glanced at the WWGA site and like the general idea, but found it too expensive to join. Now I have received an offer to join at a significantly reduced price. I am curious as to the worth/value of being a WWGA member and having access to their videos.

Do you have an opinion?
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I'm not a big fan of subscription sites. Just me.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

i got package with dvd in it from woodworkers gild.. told me if like to keep and kindly send them money or return it. seems like making me do lot of work if not want. wondering if not like and trow in trash am i obligated to pay for it????

No, you are not obligated to pay for anything sent under those conditions. USPS regulations are specific. This type of "advertisement" is legal, but the sender can only request payment or return, not demand same. It is a gift. Use it or throw it away, your choice.

For the record, I despise this type of "advertisement" and always let the company know.
    "God does not deduct from a man's lifespan the time spent fishing."

I signed up for their YouTube special $10.oo & now have cancelled it
    EDIT
    I just ate my own words see below
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 01-15-2014 at 4:48 PM. Reason: I was blinded by the Light !
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

Joe, my experience with him is that he only has one overarching objective : to make money. There are plenty of free woodworking instructional videos on the web and good books and good videos for purchase without the need to spring for a subscription service where you are bound to buy what you may not need. Additionally, if you have questions, this site is a great site to ask them. I've found this is where the experts are.

A couple of years ago I tried his video subscription. I would advise against it. The videos came at times sooner than expected. Then I found out I was supposed to pay return postage as labeled on the return envelope. The postmaster told they were charging at least double the standard rate. I wrote and told them to stop sending the dvds but they kept coming. I just wrote on the package return to sender without opening any other than the first one. Finally they stopped coming.

what i signed up for is the on-line streaming access only , I don't get the DVD's in the mail & would refuse any that came anyway .
    IF & when any DVDs start showing up on my door , I then will cancel any subscription pronto .

EDIT see below I canceled
    Last edited by Michael Mahan; 01-15-2014 at 4:51 PM. Reason: a sudden brief wave of stupity washed me overboard !
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I got a DVD in the mail, too. I have got several reminders that I have not sent in my payment. Seems rather money driven.

John

10. the mailing of the DVD's smack of the old "Columbia Records " Scam of many years ago .

11. I Just Called them @ WWGA & Cancelled my $10.oo YouTube special subscription & they are going to refund my $10.oo . I just signed up 9 days ago
    after the reports here on SMC of DVDs showing up on people's doorsteps & then payment demands , I want no part of that Company at ALL .
    Yes ,
    I was getting sucked in by the slick advertisements & the Videos which were good but if their gonna start me down a road that tries to locks me into DVDs & other unwanted products i did not order , I felt it best to end this right now before the DVDs started show up at my house .
    ThanX to all posters for reminding me that what appears to a great deal sometimes is Not a deal at all , I usually don't get suckered into these things
    but thanks for the reality check !
    As soon as I thought this is some what like the Colombia Records of years past , I knew I had made a grave error in judgement

I could be wrong here, but the DVD in the mail concepts was a couple years ago. From what I see in current offers, you are now getting a subscription to streaming videos on demand from their website. I got the $10 offer also, and went to their website, where I found video's that were free, and also 'Premium' videos, for members......which is what the $10 gets you for a year.

The one caveat I found was that when you sign up for the $10 for a year, you are also signing up for automatic renewal each year at the regular price, which is about $40. It did, however give a site to cancel the automatic renewal at any time.

I am going to look into it a little more. The videos looked pretty good, but no way am I going to have automatic renewal.

Rick Potter

Keep forgetting. My first job is to get back on the contributor list here. Pay pal doesn't like me.