Thread: Winter Smother with Macassar Ebony, Patina'd brass

Winter Smother with Macassar Ebony, Patina'd brass

Just completed this morning. I don't have time to post a lot lately but thought I would post this as a tribute to my friend Fred West. Wish it was mine....alas I get to have them all for a little while. Just before I pack 'em in a box and send them away.

8" True Smoother length, 1.875 wide iron, 50 degree pitch.

Ron

Very lovely Ron. I really like the way the patinated brass complements the wood.

That is a work of art. It's almost a crime to put it to work.

Beautiful, that is a work of art.
    "Have no part plane's just keep restoring them"
    "aka; acowboy"

My thoughts exactly.
    Quote Originally Posted by David M Anderson View Post
    Beautiful, that is a work of art.
    -- Dan Rode

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

You can keep your Bentley's, Ferrari's, Hinckley's…
    If I ever have such money I will surround myself with tools I can use, like this.

Well another beauty, Ron. Crisp where it needs to be. But soft and flowing. I do like the subtle antique brass look with this one. Another 410 stainless?

Now that is one sharp looking plane!

(someone had to say it)

Gorgeous work Ron, the lines and curves of the tote are the perfect blend of softness inviting the hand with crisp lines that really stir the soul!
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

That is one very nice looking plane! Superb really.

Blog Entries
    Gorgeous work!

Not Stainless

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Bontz View Post
    Well another beauty, Ron. Crisp where it needs to be. But soft and flowing. I do like the subtle antique brass look with this one. Another 410 stainless?
    Ron I have made this tool in stainless but this one is the standard version from 0-1 tool steel. Also I've started using 440C stainless in lieu of the 410. The 440C (knife makers steel) has a higher carbon content and the chips seem to break better, plus it seems to be a bit easier to surface grind. Of course I've not experienced any stainless that was easy to grind.

Ron

Great work,Ron!!! I can see the pins are a slightly different color from the sides of the plane. Are you making them from the exact same steel as the sides? The next time I make a bronze or brass plane,if I can't get the same alloy in round stock (even at that,there could be variations in the alloy) ,I plan to saw some square strips out,turn them round,and make any pins I use from them. Might be the only way to really get them totally invisible.

Extremely nice,neat work and excellent design on the handle and knob.
    Last edited by george wilson; 01-16-2014 at 9:11 AM.

George I've found that even when you assure the same alloy, when the side starts developing even the slightest patina and the light hits just right you'll still be able to make out the pin profile. In that one picture the light strikes the side of the plane in just that way, turn it slightly angled another direction and they're gone. It's one of those things I was a bit obsessed about for a while. I'd certainly be interested to see what results you get from the technique you describe.

One other thing I've noticed. When I started interspersing taper pins with the threaded pins your eye tends to pick up on the different diameters of the two pins when the light hits just right. The taper pins go in zero clearance and I persist with their use because I think it's a quality/longevity component.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments.

Ron

Yes,you are right,Ron. When you hammer that metal,it gets compressed and will look a bit different no matter what you do about it. i have seen that happen even when a brass screw is tightly screwed into a countersunk hole. A ring is visible where the brass got a little compressed around the edges.

I guess we are just screwed!! Perhaps a thick coat of flat black paint over the entire plane?

Blog Entries
    Very elegant. Wish I could build or budget such a plane.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)