Thread: A RAS in a Hyundai?

A RAS in a Hyundai?

I have been following the thread on transporting a jointer in a car, but never thought it might apply to me also.

I recently bought a PennCraft RAS sight unseen, and out of state, in Phoenix. It is a Rockwell 105, rebadged for JC Penney. I have a friend who agreed to pick up the saw for me, and next time I am in Phoenix I would pick it up. Well, the friend called me tonight, he is going to a funeral near me, and wanted to know if I would like him to bring the saw, and drop it off.

The car he is driving is a Hyundai Elantra. He is thinking he can take the saw apart, load it in pieces and drop it off for me. He will pick up the saw Friday, and let me know if it will work.

I don't know what will happen, but it is POSSIBLE I may have a RAS kit to assemble and adjust in a week or so. I really hope not, but he is trying to help me out, and I certainly will appreciate whatever he decides. Between you and me, I really hope he decides to put it in his garage and save it for me to pick up.

Rick Potter

Rick ... once the table is removed, there's not much of a foot-print to a RAS.
    If he can handle the weight. If not ... just remove the motor, and that should make it managable.

Mine came home in a sport coupe--Mercedes C230. Wasn't as tough as the time i picked up a 14" band saw, 6" bench top jointer, and a lunchbox planer (plus a few hand tools) in one trip. Sam's right about the weight, they're not that heavy but loading/unloading is not a direct lift so it gets awkward.
    earl

I moved a Dewalt 10" Ras in my Camry. Ask your friend to redo the nuts & bolts in their proper holes and it shouldn't be a problem.

I transport my DeWalt buys all the time in my Elantra hatchback. Remove table, if it even has one; most do not, remove arm end cap, roll off & disconnect the motor, crank down the arm elevation to minimum and load. If your guy is going to transport it as a unit, it is advisable to park the motor midway out, swing the head vertical, as if to shape, leave the blade guard on and crank down to a padded surface, this will protect the arm, column, and motor if any serious mishaps occur- this was the DeWalt recommended procedure for long distance moves.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    ...It is a Rockwell 105, rebadged for JC Penney.
    I had no idea that Penney's ever sold tools... I've never seen a tool department in a Penney's store..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I had no idea that Penney's ever sold tools... I've never seen a tool department in a Penney's store..
    You must be pretty young then. They used to sell everything that Sears sold in the 60s and 70s. From TVs to Camping and hunting equipment to power tools.

IIRC, their house brand name was J.C. Higgins. I have my dads old 12ga J.C. Higgins shotgun. Hmmm, the more I think about it, I think J.C. Higgins was Sears.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-16-2014 at 12:20 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Blog Entries
    The car he is driving is a Hyundai Elantra. He is thinking he can take the saw apart, load it in pieces and drop it off for me. He will pick up the saw Friday, and let me know if it will work.

I don't know what will happen, but it is POSSIBLE I may have a RAS kit to assemble and adjust in a week or so. I really hope not, but he is trying to help me out, and I certainly will appreciate whatever he decides. Between you and me, I really hope he decides to put it in his garage and save it for me to pick up.

Rick Potter
    I have an Elantra, and it has a pretty big trunk for a small car, I am thinking you may not get your wish. Of course you can tell him to not bother and that you would rather pick it up yourself. But from the other posts, it seems like it won't be a problem putting it back together. Plus, with it being as old as it is, you will probably need to break it all down anyway, he will just get you a head start on that process.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Back in the day, the big 3 did virtually the same marketing scheme (good; better; best; as offerings, now considered an obsolete marketing strategy.), even using the same vendor to private badge their stuff. Sears of course had Craftsman, and believe it or not an even more inexpensive house brand called "Dunlap". Penny's had Penncraft and Wards had Powerkraft. The stuff really was high quality, made in the "forever" mode of toolmaking back then, all had an extensive warranty policy for their hand tools, some were no questions asked replacement, some simply refunded the purchase price.
    - Beachside Hank
    Improvise, adapt, overcome; the essence of true craftsmanship.

Like Hank says, they had everything.

I have a Sears Tool Catalog from 1941(?). It shows about 6 full size metal lathes, at least 8 table saws of various sizes, all cast iron of course. Not a plastic tool in sight. I still see Dunlap stuff on CL occasionally.

The saw I am getting looks pretty good, the man who sold it said his father in law bought it new, so it hasn't been used and abused by a shop. No rust, and complete with stand and factory locking wheel setup. Oh, yeah.........$50 for a 9" Rockwell turret model, which works out perfect for me, as I will be putting an 8" dado set on it permanently.

Rick Potter

Whew,

Good news. My buddy picked up the Phoenix saw and it is being stored until I get a chance to pick it up. I am glad it is stored, as I was worried about him messing up his car somehow. Now I just need an excuse to go to Phoenix.

Rick Potter

Like Hank says, they had everything.

I have a Sears Tool Catalog from 1941(?). It shows about 6 full size metal lathes, at least 8 table saws of various sizes, all cast iron of course. Not a plastic tool in sight. I still see Dunlap stuff on CL occasionally.

Rick Potter
    The big 3 used to be "everything under one roof" sorta places. I have a Montgomery Wards 9x36 metal lathe(Logan) made in 1946. In fact if I recall right, my 10ER Shopsmiths were originally marketed through Wards.
    "If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" -Red Green

I have a Penny's combination wrench set that I have had for probably 35 years. They are high quality high gloss chrome not a lot different than Snap On. Sears and Wards even used to have farm supplies too. We had a Montgomery Wards farm store that sold a variety of farm supplies but it went away in the early 70's.