Thread: Shims for sidemount slides.

Shims for sidemount slides.

Occasionally you will run into a drawer box that is out of spec with a cabinet and makes the slides bind a bit. I usually make my boxes 1 1/16" smaller than the opening so that if anything it is loose, being as tight requires much more work. Years ago because of my interest in old cars I came up with a great solution that is fast. In automotive bodywork there are these little shims to make fenders line up. They are U shaped with a little bent tab on the top. I buy the 1/16" size, and if you have a drawer that is binding because it is a touch narrow you just loosen the screws to the case and slip one of these in between the slide and the case, tighten the screw back up. Fast and they look like they belong there. If you need more than one they are stackable.

Carquest part # 8021634

Larry
    Last edited by Larry Edgerton; 01-17-2014 at 7:01 AM.

Larry you are a genius
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Great idea Larry, sure beats my cardboard shims.

For other hacks like myself, I have a solution for the opposite problem. Lets say you made your drawer just a tad too wide (or the case ended up a tad too narrow), and your drawer slide binds up from being too tight. I had a couple like that a while back, and just set my table saw blade to the height of the drawer slide member attached to the drawer. Shave off the drawer side a 16th or so, put the guide back on, and it shouldn't even show, since it is behind the slide.

Rick Potter

I've done the same thing myself using washers.

In Australia these are called window shims, colour coded from 1/16 to 3/8 and available from trade hardware stores (probably cheaper than an automotive store if the same holds true over there, the fact that they are imperial suggests that it does). They are amazing handy both on and off site. The "legs" can easily be snapped off to make them smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Schwee View Post
    Me too- have used different thickness washers for years - though very very rarely do I need to make such corrections .

Still I don't know what you refer to Larry can you post a picture please? Maybe I can upgrade my work.

Oh - and this thread might get more views if you correct the title- just sayin'.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 01-16-2014 at 5:51 PM. Reason: Being a wise guy
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Nice idea, and I already have a kit of those from McMaster for machine leveling. I've always used a wad of PSA roll sand paper to handle that sort of thing. A few strips of 80g adds up to it quick, but the shims seem more expeditious. Haven't actually used many side mounts in years expect on my own shop cabs, everybody specs those nice sloppy forgiving under mounts, it takes a lot to get those to bind. Here and there they come up on a file cabinet or odd piece of a built in, always reminds me why I'm glad nobody specs them anymore.

Shims are useful in many ways. I save the promotional "credit cards" that come in the mail (only the ones without raised print) and use them as shims. If you travel a lot, hotel key cards work great too.

Bicycle playing cards here but I think I like Larry's idea better if you need a full 1/16". Nice tip
    Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
    -Bill Watterson

Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
    -W. C. Fields

For the last couple of years when I would travel for business I used to keep the plastic credit card type room keys when I left a hotel. I must have over 100 of them. They do make great shims. If I need anything thinner I use playing cards. Both can be trimmed and shaped with ordinary scissors.
    Wood'N'Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Huck Schwee View Post
    That's what I do too.
    Dennis

I use the plastic insert that comes in my reusable shopping bags. I hate them because I cannot fold the bags smaller to stuff in my car. They work great for everything and never rot. Dan