Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are these EA Berg socket chisels any good?

Question Are these EA Berg socket chisels any good?

Found them on a local auction site so was wondering if they are worth paying $200 to get them.

From largest to smallest: 31mm, 24 mm, 18mm, 12mm, 8mm, 3.5mm

berg_1.jpg

berg_2.jpg

berg_3.jpg
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

They are probably worth at least $200 on the open market any time. Good reputation for users, but higher collector value probably than anything.

At around $33 a chisel I'd say that is an exceptional price. The chisels pictured look to be in very good condition. Pull the trigger before someone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Vandiver View Post
    The chisels pictured look to be in very good condition. Pull the trigger before someone else does.
    In case my comment about price seems too neutral, I agree with Chris. On a given day, they might command $400 on ebay here.

Excellent chisels, I have a couple of them myself and would buy more if they were offered at good price.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Hilton,

Just PM me the auction site info where the chisles are listed and I can get them for myself.

Hilton
    I recall Derek Cohen saying he doesn't think they're any special. But in context he was commenting on socket chisels which were stamped 1071 or 1021 on the front side of the blade. These are newer Berg chisels and I do agree with Derek that the steel in Berg chisels with this stamp are not as good as the old ones. So check this. But I would buy them if they are the proper old stuff.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    Rust never sleeps
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/77333663@N07/sets

The steel quality of those chisels is good. However, you can find other chisels that are of equal or better quality, tool steel wise, for a lot less money. Assuming you work in metric, Two Cherries chisels (made in Germany) make excellent quality chisels, and a set of 6 can be had for half what you're paying. I've got a 20 year old set, and I think they are outstanding. I use them as my paring chisels, as I don't work in metric, so the sizes are all wrong for me.

With all the old chisels available for around $10 to $15, from European, British, and American makers of old, I personal would hesitate to purchase a set of tools with high collector appeal, unless, of course, that is your thing. You can do better, price wise.

Nice chisels, though. I've used Berg's before, and you will like them.
    Jeff

Jeff's comment's got me wondering what other chisels end up costing you in South Africa? Even if you snagged a decent price on eBay, does the shipping become prohibitive? Do you have to pay taxes on something you order from overseas?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    Jeff's comment's got me wondering what other chisels end up costing you in South Africa? Even if you snagged a decent price on eBay, does the shipping become prohibitive? Do you have to pay taxes on something you order from overseas?
    See, that's the thing. I haven't a clue what things cost in South Africa. My comments are really based on North American pricing. For all I know, Two Cherries chisels are $500 there. Shipping costs would certainly change everything. I have two full sets of bench chisels that I accumulated over time. They were not purchased all at once, but individually, or in two's, as I found them. One is Greenlee (the older one's), and the other is Stanley 750's. I haven't paid more than $15 for any of the chisels, and all are full length. I found that the Stanley 750's took a lot less work...i.e.....they were machined and/or heat treated better, as they took a lot less work than the Greenlee's to get the back's flat, and the bevels straight. The Greenlee's took work in both areas, but now that it's done, I've got a great set, including 4 small butt chisels for tight spaces, that are made from high quality steel.
    Jeff

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I don't really need any more chisels as I have a perfectly good set of Veritas V11 bench chisels. I came across this deal and like many of us, just couldn't resist taking a closer look. If I didn't already have decent chisels then I'd certainly consider this set but for that amount of cash, there's other stuff to get first.

In terms of shipping costs to South Africa, stuff from the States of average size and weight attracts a landed cost of between 30-50% in addition to the purchase price.

Now here's the scary part. At the start of November 2013, USD$1 bought R9.89 but now the Rand has slipped to R10.89. This essentially means that for me, everything has gone up by 10%.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    ...Now here's the scary part. At the start of November 2013, USD$1 bought R9.89 but now the Rand has slipped to R10.89. This essentially means that for me, everything has gone up by 10%.
    Yeah, it was a lot more fun a few years ago to buy from Europe, when 1 euro more or less equaled a dollar. I still can't believe all the ECE planes I accumulated. And then UK postage increased exponentially.... argh.

I'd buy them and flip them for that price, no question about it.

I did buy them, for $235, and I'm very happy with them, and the price I paid. They're in good condition, and there is plenty of steel left on them all. I'm planning to keep them and use them.

Were you the other bidder Hilton, or was that someone else?

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Prince View Post
    I did buy them, for $235, and I'm very happy with them, and the price I paid. They're in good condition, and there is plenty of steel left on them all. I'm planning to keep them and use them.

Were you the other bidder Hilton, or was that someone else?
    Congrats Colin and yes I was the other bidder (you b@stard ). I'm glad they went to a user and not some dodgy trader who would break the set and sell on individually.

Can you tell what age they are? Number on the side somewhere?