Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: GRR Ripper anyone tried one of these?

GRR Ripper anyone tried one of these?

I got to see a live demonstration of one and I was very impressed with how they are designed and work. I think it looks like a great product. Any thoughts? http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/
    Last edited by Dok Yager; 01-16-2014 at 4:25 PM.

I use mine a lot....mostly just the basic pad. It takes a bit to get used to, but its' a great safety device imo.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I rarely use mine. It is incompatible with overhead guards. Occasionally it is useful, but I can't recommend it.

OTOH, their splitters are great, if you don't have a riving knife.

Blog Entries
    Dok,
    This product is a much discussed item here at SMC. A search for "GRR Ripper" will produce several hours of reading material.

OH, and BTW, Welcome to the Creek! It looks like you joined up on Monday.
    There is a mountain range full of information here, and the search works pretty well.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 01-16-2014 at 5:56 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I agree they take some getting used to but I used them and really like them. Great safety item.

George

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I rarely use mine. It is incompatible with overhead guards. Occasionally it is useful, but I can't recommend it.
    I agree w/ Wade. Not really useful enough to recommend it.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    I agree w/ Wade. Not really useful enough to recommend it.
    I use mine all the time and love them . I have two of them and I would highly recommend them.

JoAnn

I think you'll get a wide variety of opinions on these things just like anything else in woodworking. I have a pair of them and use them all the time. I like them very much, not only at the tablesaw but on the jointer and those rare occasions when I use my router table with the router in it.

I did find that I rarely have any need to monkey around with a bunch of the add on parts. About the only reconfiguring I ever have to do is moving the center section and sometimes the handle. The extra parts are in a box somewhere.
    Last edited by Dave Richards; 01-16-2014 at 6:51 PM.

Bought one and loved it so much I got another to use for long ripping. Does a great job ripping small pieces if you get the 1/8 inch attachment. Do not use the pair as often as I thought I might, but use it quite a bit a single push block.

Great for those cuts where the guard is off, narrow rips etc. I find I use their jointer grippers even more. Really like those and the splitter to. Dave

There are 2 schools on this one, the ones that love it and the ones that don't, no in between.

I got one had it for about a week or 2 and sold it, just to many parts to mess with, its like a model kit every time you go to change it.

I thought that I would use it on the table saw (and I do) - but found that it is most useful on the router table for me - especially for smaller pieces. Gives me lots of control.

They're a bit pricy, but it does grip a piece of wood better than a standard push block. A bit more versatile too in my opinion.
    Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Dok Yager View Post
    I got to see a live demonstration of one and I was very impressed with how they are designed and work. I think it looks like a great product. Any thoughts? http://www.microjig.com/products/grr-ripper/
    I've got two of them and they are fantastic! I use them to walk boards through while ripping. you keep downward pressure on both sides of the blade. Great when needing to rip this strips. Since you have downward pressure at all times, you eliminate the kickback. I use them on the jointer, routertable anything where I want to keep my hands away from the blade. I'd never rip the super thin strips without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Womer View Post
    Bought one and loved it so much I got another to use for long ripping. Does a great job ripping small pieces if you get the 1/8 inch attachment. Do not use the pair as often as I thought I might, but use it quite a bit a single push block.
    I agree completely. I bought the second one, and use them at the table saw and router all the time. One of the most important safety devices in my shop.

Blog Entries
    Welcome. I'm in the "love it" camp. I have two and they are integrated into how I do certain cuts and processes at the tablesaw and the router table. Like many accessories, some like them, some don't. If they walked off, I would order two more immediately. YMMV.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler