Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: not sure what to make of this

Same thing as happening to Tony. Fade out at both ends. Having trouble uploading my pic.
    sandcarving and sublimation.
    Trotec Speedy 300/80 watt!

Blog Entries
    Ah... driver, then.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

yep, that is what Trotec is telling me. As soon as my new laptop arrives I will download the new driver and firware and let everyone know if that fixes it. :-)

Tony mentioned different computers rendered the same bad results- a driver just feeds the laser's controller data. I would have to assume if a driver went bad, it would be in ONE computer- it isn't logical that a driver that DID work suddenly doesn't work for 2 users across several computers...

Like I said in Tony's thread, my bet is bad controller or bad tube...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Tony mentioned different computers rendered the same bad results- a driver just feeds the laser's controller data. I would have to assume if a driver went bad, it would be in ONE computer- it isn't logical that a driver that DID work suddenly doesn't work for 2 users across several computers...

Like I said in Tony's thread, my bet is bad controller or bad tube...
    Read my reply in the other thread... this isn't a bad tube/controller issue, it's a firmware issue on the tube controller (which is updated by the driver).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Hi Tami,

Been on to Trotec support and the have just 'fixed' it - upgraded firmware and some tweaking of each material setting correction value under the dropdown at the end. I have put a fuller explanation on the other thread.

Hope yours is sorted as quickly.

Top marks for Trotec UK Support as ever.

Cheers
    Tony
    GCC Puma III Vinyl Cutter
    CorelDraw X6
    Adobe Photoshop / Adobe Illustrator CS6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0

If the faded area is 1/2" or less on both ends, give HQ a shot. I have one material that I have to do HQ and have been using HQ on this layout since day one.
    One other thing that caused me to chase my tail for a couple of days is when the "o" ring holding the lens in was left out. The lens would rock at each end of the stroke, causing the engraving to fade.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

ok all

just got my job control upgraded to 10 I was running 9 before and the firmware as well. Seems to have solved the problem for now. Fingers crossed. I get cranky when stuff doesn't work! :-)

Tami

Tami,

Check your engraving carefully... Use something that has a filled circle say about an inch high with a line of text off to the right about half way down the circle so it forces the laser to work down the circle, then alter length to encompass the text, then go back to finish the lower part of the circle... See if there's a faint difference in the circle engraving where the text coincides... I used MDF to demonstrate this as it shows up quite nicely any depth imperfections.

i thought mine was 'fixed' but careful tests last night have shown that it's only okay for engravings that are uniform in shape ..i.e: say, a rectangle - where the head's horizontal back-and-forth traverse is equal down the whole engraving.

where the engraving varies I noticed that there's a variance in engraving depth in a continuous area. (i will attach a picture later ... On ipad at moment so can't access the machine!) - PIC NOW ATTACHED - sorry it's a bit naff but hopefully it illustrates the point

I will be raising it with Trotec this morning. FYI ... The correction value I found to be the best for my 80W speedy 400 was 21 ... I'd be interested to see if yours has worked.

cheers
    Tony
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tony saunders; 01-24-2014 at 4:21 AM. Reason: adding picture
    CorelDraw X6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0

Will do Tony. maybe not today as I have to work. will let you know though

tami

Tony, that's exactly what high quality engraving corrects. Are you using it?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Tony, that's exactly what high quality engraving corrects. Are you using it?
    Hi Scott,

... I do now! LOL (but I didn't before)

I've just updated my main thread with the latest. New tube on the way now and I'll have to tickle along until it arrives.

Cheers
    T
    CorelDraw X6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Tony saunders View Post
    Hi Scott,

... I do now! LOL (but I didn't before)

I've just updated my main thread with the latest. New tube on the way now and I'll have to tickle along until it arrives.

Cheers
    T
    Tony, that's a very common issue with ALL lasers. My Universal will do it, the Epilog's do it. They all do it. Each manufacturer has their own way of dealing with it. It only shows up in certain materials. When you see it, you need to turn High Quality on for that color. But you also need to make sure you are sending the jobs over correctly. If you have a 1" x 3" plate to engrave, and your table size is showing 36" or whatever the width of your bed is on the 400, High Quality will engraving across 36" even though you are only engraving 3". That's why sending the right size job over is very important on high quality engraving. If you have a 1" x 3" plate to engrave, send a 1" x 3" job over, with high quality on. That will eliminate any wasted motion.

I honestly think the Trotec driver is the most powerful on the market. I do also believe that the vast majority of people I know that use it don't understand it's power or features. I spoke to a person that has owned one for 4 years. They told me something they couldn't do. I say "sure you can, it's right here", and they had no idea. I find that to be the rule, rather than the exception.

I seriously doubt it's a tube issue at all.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Scott,

Just for the sake of those with Trotecs, is there a source or manual or training you have found relatively complete for the Trotec that would help new owners discover these features more quickly? Or is it more a matter of experimenting, and hunting this forum and other sources like it for bits of info as you go?

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Tony, that's a very common issue with ALL lasers. My Universal will do it, the Epilog's do it. They all do it. Each manufacturer has their own way of dealing with it. It only shows up in certain materials. When you see it, you need to turn High Quality on for that color. But you also need to make sure you are sending the jobs over correctly. If you have a 1" x 3" plate to engrave, and your table size is showing 36" or whatever the width of your bed is on the 400, High Quality will engraving across 36" even though you are only engraving 3". That's why sending the right size job over is very important on high quality engraving. If you have a 1" x 3" plate to engrave, send a 1" x 3" job over, with high quality on. That will eliminate any wasted motion.

I honestly think the Trotec driver is the most powerful on the market. I do also believe that the vast majority of people I know that use it don't understand it's power or features. I spoke to a person that has owned one for 4 years. They told me something they couldn't do. I say "sure you can, it's right here", and they had no idea. I find that to be the rule, rather than the exception.

I seriously doubt it's a tube issue at all.
    Hi Scott,

I'm no Trotec expert by any stretch but something has happened from being fine for six months then overnight (with no changes to firmware / Driver / PC OS etc / methodology / graphic files or settings) it now requires correction values to straighten out the engraving depth and as of today the power has all but gone from the laser. Things break or they are changed. I lost count of how many times we had calls on Monday morning that something was not working and "it was fine last thing friday and nothing has been changed" … and of course, it almost always had - upgrades usually (!)

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding you, but to be clear. The job file from Corel is the same size as the edge of an Oak plinth that is 446mm wide by about 50mm deep. My graphic file from Corel is that size such that it fits nicely and ensures that the relevant engraved boxes are nicely lined up with some hinge holes, and a central logo recess is created in the middle.

I could trim it slightly to remove dead space from the left hand side (as there's nothing there to engrave - it's all from the centre to the RHS) and simply reference from the RHS of the plinth, but as the Trotec engraving optimised anyway, it didn't traverse back and forth across the whole 446mm, just the middle to the RHS edge as it worked down. (this is the plinth - although you can't see the engraving by the hinge - this is the logo in the engraved recess : https://plus.google.com/photos/+luxu...769?banner=pwa )

So, the High Quality setting here - would (which is my understanding) traverse back and forth across the whole 446mm ??

I see there is a better illustration on the other thread from Kev Williams...

ref Tube Swap - the tube is being swapped out now largely because it has to be ramped up to about 85% power just to engrave a white mark on paper tape (the settings were 25% power at S40 and nothing is happening) - something is wrong somewhere?! - it doesn't seem to fire until a point way way higher than it needs to be, and the engraving depth is barely there.

This correction value change is all well and good and I could see that it would be used to 'tweak' the engraving to ensure an optimum uniformity, but it shouldn't have to suddenly require it across the board. if it does, then why? - and it's the 'why' that I haven't had any answer to.

Cheers
    T
    Last edited by Tony saunders; 01-24-2014 at 3:19 PM.
    CorelDraw X6
    Alibre Design
    SprutCAM 7 & 8
    Aspire 3.0