Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had to do an estimate for contents insurance recently...

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Don't tell them you have a dust collector. They will cancel your policy.
    Insurance is a nightmare, especially homeowners insurance. If they find out you have power saws you are screwed. I had to get commercial insurance for my company (for my home shop) they wouldn't touch it in a house unless it HAD dust collection, I even had to provide photos, brand make and model. Long story short the only company that would insure my shop is Lloyds of london, at $3,000 a year (this is only a liability policy.) Home owner's insurance required me to get this policy in order to insure my home... long story short Home owner's insurance companies are still giving me the run around . <------This can all be avoided by not being honest. Point blank. Insurance companies are a fraud and will figure ANY way they can get out of paying.

Sorry didn't mean to rant, just insurance and woodworking is a joke!

To the original poster, I too recently had to do a physical inventory for tax purposes...
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    +1 on this !
    Make certain the photographs clearly show the maker's name and model number.

You'll need to produce a catalog listing, if valuation is in question.

Check your policy for replacement value of items like these, they may require an additional rider.

The place to start is with an agent, and read the contract.

http://www.wolleranger.com/insurehobby.html
    I won't have much trouble with the pics. If any idiot adjuster tries to screw me I'll refuse the cash and tell them to find me another that looks just like the picture - it's worked in the past with others I know have had to go through the bs… The first step if I need to make a claim will be to the financial ombudsman where I'll hash out a few scenarios and then phone the insurance company. In the past I've had problems with a variety of companies, retail returns, electricity service being switch to another company without my consent and I find when you say you've just gotten off the phone with so n so at the ***** ombudsman's office and by what they've said you're full of… I usually then ask for their name and say I'll forward it on to so n so at the ombudsman's office and you can deal directly with him/her cause I'm not going to play your games… That, so far, has usually stopped them playing games. They're like children here, soon as you pull out the ruler they pull their head in.

It's taken a few years but I think I've finally realised I've lived a very blessed life in Canada because by comparison this place is bogged down in third world ways of thinking. I don't think petty criminal/fraud activity is considered wrong here. Honestly I'm tired of having to remind myself that the people I'm having to deal with can't be trusted. Unless I've suffered a very selective amnesia I don't remember having to have such an attitude in Canada, unless I was shopping at future shop (which I never did)… Rant off (must be something in the air Rick cause I've caught it to). Hmm must be that my blood alcohol levels are dropping to dangerous levels… Few beers will bring a smile and a positive attitude...
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 01-20-2014 at 1:29 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    It's taken a few years but I think I've finally realised I've lived a very blessed life in Canada because by comparison this place is bogged down in third world ways of thinking. I don't think petty criminal/fraud activity is considered wrong here. Honestly I'm tired of having to remind myself that the people I'm having to deal with can't be trusted. Unless I've suffered a very selective amnesia I don't remember having to have such an attitude in Canada
    Brian, you sound pretty gatvol of the situation. Why did you leave Canada in the first place and are you able to return if you wanted to? I reckon shipping all those tools may be expensive.

Hope you have a good week.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Brian, you sound pretty gatvol of the situation. Why did you leave Canada in the first place and are you able to return if you wanted to? I reckon shipping all those tools may be expensive.

Hope you have a good week.
    Gatvol: had to ask a Rhodesian come South African come Australian friend what that meant… and that would be a pretty good way of describing it.

We left Canada because we wanted warm weather. Unfortunately I didn't listen to my hunches or pay attention to the bad omen that reared it's head and chose here. In my first 40 years I have never gone through what I have in the past nine. It was hard and very wearing but I was continuing to go forward trying hard to get out of the situations I was under but watching these convicts kick my wife in the guts for the third time and then insult her was the last straw. But I won't trouble you with the details - they would fill volumes. It was the catalyst that my wife needed to say "ya, it's time to leave" so I will shake the dust from my feet when I go down that gangway and step on that plane and bid this convict outpost a hearty up yours!

Actually shipping the tools wouldn't be all that expensive. They do it by cubic foot instead of weight and everything can be packed really tight. Doubtful that they will be going to Canada though, I have my sights set on the UK for know. Warm weather is nice but civilised people are more important I've found. last I heard a 20 foot container cost about $5700. For my tools I'd only need about 3 feet. Our entire house contents fit into less than a 10 foot space when we moved here and we haven't added to that so we should be pretty good.
    Last edited by Brian Ashton; 01-22-2014 at 6:40 AM.
    Sent from the bathtub on my Samsung Galaxy(C)S5 with waterproof Lifeproof Case(C), and spell check turned off!

Well wherever you end up Brian, good luck to you and I hope you'll be happy one day.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ashton View Post
    step on that plane and bid this convict outpost a hearty up yours!
    Please hurry and you have heard about the proverbial door.....???
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Please hurry and you have heard about the proverbial door.....???

Na wuwwies (isn't that how you say it) mate! But I'll first have to fix the door… I spend a lot of time fixing things here.